Electric Awning

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I used CRC lube and spayed a little on each joint and on the ends of the roller tube (both sides).

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Thanks, Jim. I will add this to my to do list. I noticed our awning going up at a slower rate.

Duramax1

I sprayed some lithium lubricant on the spindles at either end of the awning tube and on most of the arm joints. It did not make any difference.

When I rolled the awning up last night I thought for sure it was not going to make it

Duramax1

I have made an appointment to take the unit back to the dealer on August 12th for an assessment.

Incidentally, I have now received the right size retrofit kit for my awning arm.

K

Kevin_Finn

I am checking with our supplier now to try and find out why this is happening. I hope to have an answer soon.

Thanks

Duramax1

My A&E Dometic 9100 electric awning would extend normally but the retraction became slower and slower to the point where I wondered whether it would actually close.

The solution was to tighten the internal spring which retracts the awning. I always thought that the electric motor was rewinding the awning but I guess that it is the spring. This makes sense as it is the spring that will enable you to manually retract the awning in the event that the electric motor fails.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My A&E Dometic 9100 electric awning would extend normally but the retraction became slower and slower to the point where I wondered whether it would actually close.

The solution was to tighten the internal spring which retracts the awning. I always thought that the electric motor was rewinding the awning but I guess that it is the spring. This makes sense as it is the spring that will enable you to manually retract the awning in the event that the electric motor fails.

Is there a way to do that yourself or is it an RV dealer thing?

2010augusta

Jim, Tightening the spring is very difficult and can cause damage and/or injury. You have to have enough tension/torsion in the lift the entire awning assembly. It has to be adjusted while the awning is in the stored position, and takes a couple people. I have done it on a manual awning, when re-building it, but cannot remember the exact process. I believe it involved holding the keyed stud that goes into the upright arm, and then removing it from the upright arm(allowing you to tighten the spring, and then re aligning the stud and re-installing the upright arm. We used a pair of vise-grips while standing on a ladder. each turn of the stud gives you one more revolution of the awning roller during retraction.

Duramax1

That is a good description of the process that I saw the 2 repairmen undertake. If you have two people who know what they are doing it does not take very long. But if it is not done correctly apparently the spring can unwind in a violent fashion breaking fingers, wrists etc.

G

gar246

We spend the winter in Florida and use a sun screen attached to the awning. How does one tie down the electric awing with out support post
under the ends with out tearing the arms out of the trailer sidewalls also no end bars to secure awning flappers.