Electric landing gear stops/starts

wingfoot

Well it looks like the dreaded/somewhat anticipated Venture Electric landing gear is giving me a problem. Today while trying to hook-up the motor stopped working while trying to extend the legs and raise the camper. In a moment you could hear the breaker reset and when I tried to Extend the legs again it who moan and blow the breaker again. So, I waited for the breaker to reset and tried to retract the legs..They would retract fine but the instant I tried to extent the legs it again would blow the breaker. I tried the manual crank...it was hard to crank but seemed to get easier as I cranked and it did raise the camper...After I got the legs extended about two inches manually, I tried the switch again and everything was fine????? And I have since tried the landing gear again..Extending and retraction is working fine...
What happened?...the only thing I could figure is one or both the legs were in a bind...I dunno.

Any suggestion?

Larry

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. It sounds as if something was overworking the system by binding. You might try checking all the wire connections to make sure none are loose. Another preventative thing is to make sure the screws holding the gear reduction housing together are tight. It's the black plastic thing attached to the right side upper leg. Access it from the front storage area over the hydraulic reservoir.

57chevyconvt

Had similiar experience. While raising the RV, one of the leg got in a bind because of movement due to unstable footing. After I corrected the foot/leg stability problem, the leg became free to move as needed to left the RV.

wingfoot

Thanks guys...I have got a RV service tech coming out to check everything out..I am considering putting another Motor on the landing gear. The single motor has always sounded as though it was laboring...and I do have a Gen set plus a Trail-Air hitch..all adding additional weight on the nose of the camper. I have talked to the tech. and he has given me a price of approximately $700.00 for everything..additional switch, motor, wiring, and one landing gear leg..
Does this sound reasonable...

BTW, I checked this guy out...good reputation and does a lot of work in the campground I'm in.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have talked to the tech. and he has given me a price of approximately $700.00 for everything..additional switch, motor, wiring, and one landing gear leg..
Does this sound reasonable...

BTW, I checked this guy out...good reputation and does a lot of work in the campground I'm in.
If you are kinda handy you can do this job for probably under $400. It is not difficult to do. I did it on my 2008 BH.
It may be a little more difficult though with the genny in front.
Call Venture Manufacturing for a price on parts.

Peace
Dave

wingfoot

Thanks Dave, I thought the price was a little high..but we are on the road and not at home with all my tools so I'm a little at the mercy of who and what's available..