Electric water heater not working on 2021 Mallard M260

Number409

Just got our RV out of storage, it was winterized at a local shop last November. Hooked up water hose to city water connection. Opened the bypass valves for the water heater, screwed the water heater drain plug back in. Turned water on and the electric water heater switch. Water came out of hot water side of bathroom faucet but it wasn’t hot. What am I missing?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The bypass should be closed. There may be one or two other valves that need to be opened.
Perhaps another Mallard owner will chime in.

Peace
Dave

MDH2021

Hello Number409,

We have the same unit and year as you. When we winterize, we change the two water heater bypass valves to their bypass position and open the T&P valve then remove the nylon cap to drain the water out, then close the T&P valve and replace the nylon cap. Our water heater has a 120VAC pigtail cord that plugs into an outlet near the heater base. We unplug it as well as put a note on the KIB 3-switch panel to not turn on until de-winterized. Our de-winterization steps include flushing the water lines with city water. After all faucets are running clear including the outside shower and low point drains. Then we change the water heater bypass valves to their operating position and open the T&P valve. You can hear the water filling the tank. When a little bit of water sputters out of the T&P valve it is closed. We then open the hot water faucet in the bathroom and let it run until no air is sputtering and it has a full stream, then same for the shower, outside shower and finally the kitchen sink turning off each faucet when a full stream of water is present. Then we plug in the 120VAC pig tail and remove the note on the KIB panel and turn on the water heater AC switch and wait a few minutes and check for warm water. Finally, we the turn on a propane tank and switch the KIB panel switches to propane only and listen for the burner to come on and check for hot water. You want the water heater tank filled prior to turning on the electric and propane heat for the water heater. Double check your bypass valve positions and your 120VAC power cord. You may need to check the water heater circuit breaker also. If your water heater heats with propane the KIB control should be working okay. If the 120VAC heating element was not covered with water before power was turned on it is possible that it failed. If so, they are replaceable. I hope this helps.

Number409

See if it works on propane.
Thank you for the input! I figured it out, the service center flushed my system with air during winterization. which all they did was remove the drain to water heater. I thought I was opening the lines to water heater when I actually closed them. I know have water in hot water tank and it’s getting hot switched to electric.