First time DIY winterization

2015 Heartland Prowler LX. Watched a few youtube videos since this is my first time. The videos had the pump sucking antifreeze into the system vs the hand pump I purchased from dealer.

Drained water from FW tank and low points on the drive back from Laramie (2.5-3hrs).
Turned on pump for 10 seconds with kitchen and bathroom faucet on. No water.
Opened pressure relief, closed FW tank valve and pushed air through fitting on city water connection.
Pulled drain plug on hot water tank, closed pressure relief valve.
Bypassed hot water tank.
I purchased and hand pump from RV dealer for flooding lines with antifreeze. This goes hooks up where the city water hookup is.
All 4 faucets (kitchen, bathroom sink, shower, outside shower) and toilet have antifreeze running through them.
Poured antifreeze in drains for trap. Poured antifreeze in toilet for ring.
Tomorrow pull batteries and place in garage.

Questions I have: does the water pump need antifreeze? Am I missing anything?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would run antifreeze through the pump or at minimum remove the filter bowl to drain what water is left in the bowl.
If you have a black tank flusher run some low pressure air through that.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

307Tailgater, I would run anti-freeze thru the pump, if there is water in the pump and it freezes. The pump could very well crack.
Also just asking, it sounds like you did things right, but did you run anti-freeze thru the hot water lines as well?

I would run antifreeze through the pump or at minimum remove the filter bowl to drain what water is left in the bowl.
If you have a black tank flusher run some low pressure air through that.

Peace
Dave
Where would the filter bowl be located at? I did run into the dealer we purchased the trailer from and asked them how to get antifreeze to the pump with the hand pump I purchased. Finding out after our little info discussion, my trailer has a winterization hose w/valve already plumbed into the water system.

307Tailgater, I would run anti-freeze thru the pump, if there is water in the pump and it freezes. The pump could very well crack.
Also just asking, it sounds like you did things right, but did you run anti-freeze thru the hot water lines as well?
Antifreeze in both cold and hot water lines. Also did the toilet and outside shower.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Antifreeze in both cold and hot water lines. Also did the toilet and outside shower.

If your trailer has low point drains, let some antifreeze run out of them, as well. If you have a washing machine, be sure to follow the instructions for winterizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Where would the filter bowl be located at? I did run into the dealer we purchased the trailer from and asked them how to get antifreeze to the pump with the hand pump I purchased. Finding out after our little info discussion, my trailer has a winterization hose w/valve already plumbed into the water system.
Filter bowl will be on the water pump itself. Good job, both water lines are full.
Yea, hate to tell you, if the water pump has a suction hose for winterization, you did not need the hand pump. To use the suction hose, you need to locate the water pump, turn the one valve in-line with the hose, stick the hose in the antifreeze and turn it on. But since you already winterized, drain a little antifreeze from the cold low point, do this into a empty jug and reuse it to put back in to do the pump.
But 307Tailgater, nice job on winterization for the first time.