Emergency Break-Away System

I was running it at 7 but didn't feel like it was helping stop enough after a couple of faster than usual stops, so I moved it up to 8. I think it could probably be increased more, I haven't tried it at 10 to see what it does.

I have a 2018 RAM 3500 CCLB DRW and its towed two different trailers so far. On the 11000lb trailer it felt pretty good set to 7-7.5. On the 16250lb trailer I feel like 8.5-9 gets the job done. Try turning it up a notch or three and see how it feels. I was concerned initially about setting the gain too high, but I finally decided that I prefer to stop rather than save the brakes. Disc brakes could very well be in my future but I'm happy with the stock setup on my new Bighorn for now.

And FWIW, the 2014 RAM 2500 did well set to 7-7.5 with that smaller trailer as well. I figured I'd chime in since you have a RAM as well.

Good luck!
Ken

PondSkum

I have a 2018 RAM 3500 CCLB DRW and its towed two different trailers so far. On the 11000lb trailer it felt pretty good set to 7-7.5. On the 16250lb trailer I feel like 8.5-9 gets the job done. Try turning it up a notch or three and see how it feels. I was concerned initially about setting the gain too high, but I finally decided that I prefer to stop rather than save the brakes. Disc brakes could very well be in my future but I'm happy with the stock setup on my new Bighorn for now.

And FWIW, the 2014 RAM 2500 did well set to 7-7.5 with that smaller trailer as well. I figured I'd chime in since you have a RAM as well.

Good luck!
Ken

Thanks for the input. On our last trip (1900 miles to TN and back to TX) when I got into the hills, I bumped the gain up to 9 and it was a big improvement. I guess it's just a thing with these heavy trailers. My 7k GVWR utility trailer will lock up the brakes if set that high and it's empty. I've never set it that high with a load on it, only high enough to feel it pulling, which is usually around 6.5-7.

Nuclearcowboy

Thanks for the input. On our last trip (1900 miles to TN and back to TX) when I got into the hills, I bumped the gain up to 9 and it was a big improvement. I guess it's just a thing with these heavy trailers. My 7k GVWR utility trailer will lock up the brakes if set that high and it's empty. I've never set it that high with a load on it, only high enough to feel it pulling, which is usually around 6.5-7.
I think the controller setting depends on truck, year model, controller used, etc. I have mine set on 7.0 and it is just right.