EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: VA, Broadway - 8/27/2010 to 8/29/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Weather looks fantastic: Sunny, Hi's in the low 80's, Low's in the upper 50's. Camping weather at its finest!

Hudson

Re: Last minute notices

I posted the agenda but forgot to put up a message to let people know it's attached to the bottom of the first message in this thread.

The directions to the KOA are extremely easy for anyone coming from the south (those traveling north on I-81). You just get off at I-81 exit 257 ("Mauzy/Broadway" I think). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto US-11 north. Take your first right (across from the Liberty truck stop) onto Rt 608 Mauzy-Athlone Road.

If you are coming from the north (traveling south on I-81), then it is just a little bit trickier. Take I-81 exit 257 Mauzy/Broadway. At the top of the ramp, turn left, then immediately turn left again at the traffic light onto US-11 north. Cross over the interstate and when the Liberty truck stop is on your left, turn right onto 608/Mauzy-Athlone Road.

There is a KOA sign pointing you down Mauzy-Athlone Road. Follow that a few miles to where it enters the KOA. Mauzy-Athlone road is a good hard-surface/paved road, but it has some narrow spots and some sharpish turns. I took my 36' 5er on that road (twice of course) and had no problems. Just pay attention and keep a reasonable speed.

I'm arriving on Thursday and staying through Monday so I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Oh, about the pot luck (since some have asked)... Last time I did a rally I went to a great deal of trouble to make sure everything was perfect. This is the exact opposite. Heartland Owner's Club will be providing hamburgers, hot dogs, soda pop, and water (thank you to Gus for taking care of that actually). There won't be a signup sheet or anything like that. You bring what you want to bring, be that a side dish, a salad, a dessert, potato chips (because I forgot to ask Gus for chips because I just thought of them), or even a main dish (not everyone loves burgers & dogs).

dieselsweetheart

Thanks for the directions Hudson. I'm bringing dessert for the potluck... can't get enough of dessert! See you soon!

camperjohn08

Nancy & I arrived today.. 25 Aug. We are set up and waiting for the rest of the crowd to arrive... We are @ site 42 and have the new 27RBS nestled in for the maiden voyage..
Had fun climbing that mountain on HWY64 sure wish we had a diesel truck at this venture...
By the waY, WE DIDN'T BRING FIRE WOOD CAUSE OF BURNING RESTRICTIONS OF FIREWOOD FROM CHESAPEAKE

sEE EVERYONE TOMORROW... WE SHALL PUT OUT A LITE FOR YOU ALL..
jOHN & nANCY

camperjohn08

The evening is nice and cool tonight.... there are alot of nats flying around during the day though... most annoying..If anyone arrives here in the evening watch out for the trees, some of the turns to get to the sites are tight and you can get really close. I was two inches from one tree.. not good. The people here were a great help though.. and guided me thru it all..There are three digital TV channels and four analog, so if ya got a good antenna your good. the internet is satelite and it's slow and goes in and out... Their Wi-fi..
Other than that we are happy so far. See ya when you get here..
John & Nancy:cool:

fordtech 2008

we are planning on leaving tomorrow by 12:30. we are letting sara go to school for a half day. we are going to try and be there by the time everybody goes to dinner if not hudson sent me the directions. see everybody tomorrow, ken,marj, sara.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Wish we could have joined the group, looks like a great turnout with many friends we know !!! We would have like to come and made it another 5 chapter leader event !! Guess will have to wait for October to see you all !! We our taking the Nephew to Lake Ontario for a fishing trip . His 12 and fishing is about all the kid talk's about !! Have fun and all the best from Beth and Greg .

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
What a nice day! We had an all day campfire complete with roasted hot dogs for lunch. Some went out for a Mexican dinner while others remained around the fire for a pot luck dinner. Great food again! After dinner the fire continued and thanks to Don for setting up the big screen so we could sit around the fire watching a Mel Gibson movie. Now this is what livin' is all about! Thanks to everyone for a great day.

hillsonwheels

You folks are making me jealous over here!!!!!!!!!! :(

Glad the weather has "collaborated" for a good time so far. Hope it holds for the weekend. :cool:

dieselsweetheart

We're resting up for Day 2 of the Va rally! Another great day for weather...cool in the evenings and sunshine during the days! Having a great time and yes, those of you who couldn't make it...you're missed!!!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Oh Man I sure wish I was there Tried of just sitting around here. Have tons of fun everybody!!!!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Been a great weekend. Hate to see it come to a close. Most folks are leaving tomorrow - a couple staying until Monday. Safe travelling everyone and thanks for helping make this so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.