Excellent guide for rig and truck weighing!!

DW_Gray

Hey Dave - can you post your weight spreadsheet again without the lock?

Locked? It's not locked. Please explain the issue in detail and I'll try to figure out the problem.

It works fine for me with Firefox and IE. And the Apple Macbook Pro.

porthole

Retired
Dave, it is a "read only and "protected".

Attachments

• page 1.JPG
    page 1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 136
  • page 2.JPG
    page 2.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 94

DW_Gray

Dave, it is a "read only and "protected".

That is true. But did you attempt to enter the required data? It is "read only" to prevent anyone from altering the form and viewing the formulas.

I suppose most folks don't know how to do that and are freaked out by the "read only." I designed a very sophisticated Excel form for the Post Office before I retired. A year later, my old supervisor called and wanted to know the password.

porthole

Retired
I was just playing around and comparing it to a similar sheet I dd. I wanted to add a couple of liines and formulas.
I 'm guessing you are trying to protect your work and that is fine with me, like I said, I already have a similar sheet.

But, you do know there is a very simple work around for this - and it is free?

DW_Gray

But, you do know there is a very simple work around for this - and it is free?

I know and you know, but not everybody is computer savvy as us.

So what would you change or improve on my sheet? I just started the groundwork for an iPhone App.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
This works ONLY if you remain factory standard! The main problem with pulling is torque and pin weight on the axel. Dual wheels provide zero as far as pulling, in fact it pulls less (more weight), it allows for pin weight only, BUT not on the axel (only the wheels.) I guess most people believe that if you have duals you are going to be able to pull more,NOT!!!
My F250 has air bags, overloads, a special super transmission (built in Barstow CA), oversized tranny cooler, oversized engine cooler, bypass engine oil system, special cool air induction system, 5 inch exhast system from the turbo, a titainium turbo system, 3 guage system, oversized front drive bearings, oversized rear bearings with supports, sway supports and full bed length metal supports for the mount. My rig is capable of 25000 lb pull and is rated by DOT (it is commercial) for 23000 lbs and 2700 lb tounge weight. It is pure garbage that the 350 or 450 will outpull a 250.

DW_Gray

This works ONLY if you remain factory standard! The main problem with pulling is torque and pin weight on the axel. Dual wheels provide zero as far as pulling, in fact it pulls less (more weight), it allows for pin weight only, BUT not on the axel (only the wheels.) I guess most people believe that if you have duals you are going to be able to pull more,NOT!!!
My F250 has air bags, overloads, a special super transmission (built in Barstow CA), oversized tranny cooler, oversized engine cooler, bypass engine oil system, special cool air induction system, 5 inch exhast system from the turbo, a titainium turbo system, 3 guage system, oversized front drive bearings, oversized rear bearings with supports, sway supports and full bed length metal supports for the mount. My rig is capable of 25000 lb pull and is rated by DOT (it is commercial) for 23000 lbs and 2700 lb tounge weight. It is pure garbage that the 350 or 450 will outpull a 250.

You're right that duals tow less than SRW. For many like myself who tows heavy rigs like my Cyclone, I'm convinced by real life experience that dually trucks are safer during a blowout on the rear axle.

When you say your truck was rated by DOT after all your after market modifications, does that mean that a new certification label replaced the original or you have a certificate that overrides the original?

A CHP Commercial officer told me that it did not matter what modifications were made to a truck. If original certification label was not officially updated, then you could get a ticket and he would stop you from driving any further until you hooked up a legal truck.

porthole

Retired
350/450 3500/4500 DRW has a bigger axle then either the 250/2500 350/3500.

Nothing is really said about a 350/450 out pulling. Bottom line is they both have the same engine, transmission and for the most part gear ratios, so pulling power is about the same.
This whole thread is about weights and how to weigh your rig.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Heartland weight question

About ready to buy a Heartland 5th wheel. Considering the 3300RL Big Country. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with a 6.7 Cummins. Don't see much info on the Dodge site regarding weights and capacities. The rig shows about 11,000# empty on the Heartland site. Think my truck can handle it?
Also, what's the difference between the Big Country and the Big Horn?
Thanks
Pete

Hello Pete! I sent you a PM with some weight information. Perhaps it will help.

AjandJ170

Here is my problem that I need some help determine the best thing to do. I think I know already but am looking fir a second/third opinion.

So I have a 2011- Ford F250 and recently bought a 2014 Road Warrior 415. This is one big RV. I weighed both and the total weight was over 24K #. After reading the Ford tow guide it appears it is too much weight for the vehicle.

My my question is: do I need to upgrade to an Ford 350 dually? That is what i am considering, only a Ford by the way, but want to make sure I really need to upgrade my truck.

Any thoughts or advice?

jimtoo

Yes,, for that much weight you need a F350 dually,,,, (even if it is a Ford) for your safety and you will be surprised at the comfort level it will give you just knowing your good to go.

Heathcote4

Here is my problem that I need some help determine the best thing to do. I think I know already but am looking fir a second/third opinion.

So I have a 2011- Ford F250 and recently bought a 2014 Road Warrior 415. This is one big RV. I weighed both and the total weight was over 24K #. After reading the Ford tow guide it appears it is too much weight for the vehicle.

My my question is: do I need to upgrade to an Ford 350 dually? That is what i am considering, only a Ford by the way, but want to make sure I really need to upgrade my truck.

Any thoughts or advice?

I had the same concerns. We have a 2012 F250 with the new 6.7L diesel. After reading some of the things I thought my truck was over loaded too. We have a RW390, Heartland says that it has a 14K and change weight. Ford has a chart on the website and it says that the F250 SRW is good to 16,500 pounds. We have airbags everyone at the dealer has said we are good. The 250/350 has the same engine and rear axle ratio at 3.55. Granted the factory chart shows that the weight capacity jumps when you go to a DRW but it actually shows the 350 can tow 100 lbs less. This is what they showed me, http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_superdtypu.pdf.

I am looking at making to mods to mine so that it doesn't have to work so hard. Differing opinions make it hard to determine where to invest. Do cold air intakes work? I was told if you do that you have to upgrade the exhaust. The first thing is expanding the fuel tank, whoever at ford put a 26 gal tank in a super duty should be shot, lol. Anyway we are going to try and get a couple more years out of this truck before upgrading.

Josh

danemayer

I had the same concerns. We have a 2012 F250 with the new 6.7L diesel. After reading some of the things I thought my truck was over loaded too. We have a RW390, Heartland says that it has a 14K and change weight. Ford has a chart on the website and it says that the F250 SRW is good to 16,500 pounds. We have airbags everyone at the dealer has said we are good. The 250/350 has the same engine and rear axle ratio at 3.55. Granted the factory chart shows that the weight capacity jumps when you go to a DRW but it actually shows the 350 can tow 100 lbs less. This is what they showed me, http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_superdtypu.pdf.

I am looking at making to mods to mine so that it doesn't have to work so hard. Differing opinions make it hard to determine where to invest. Do cold air intakes work? I was told if you do that you have to upgrade the exhaust. The first thing is expanding the fuel tank, whoever at ford put a 26 gal tank in a super duty should be shot, lol. Anyway we are going to try and get a couple more years out of this truck before upgrading.

Josh

Hi Josh,

It's not just about towing capacity, there's also payload to consider. The truck's payload capacity has to be able to carry the pin weight of the trailer (for 5th wheels, plan on about 20% of GVWR of the trailer), plus weight of the hitch, bed cover, bed liner, tools, pets, passengers, cargo, and anything else you put in the truck. Even a relatively light 5th wheel with GVWR of 14,000 can expect to put about 2,800 on the rear axle of the truck. Most 2500/250 trucks have a payload spec between 2,500 and 3,000. Add all the rest of what the truck carries and it's pretty easy to be significantly over the payload spec.

AjandJ170

Thanks for the responses. The advice was sort of contradictory however.

This chart is basically the same one I have for the 2011 models and they both show the GCVR is 23,500 and the weight of my truck and RV without adding all of our belongings is 24,500+. I'm nervous because we are about to move from OKC to Salt Lake City which takes us through the mountains. I just want to ensure I have the safest vehicle to tow this big rig.

Maybe I already know the answer to the question but just didn't want to have it go buy another truck if I didn't need to.

Thanks,
Jeff

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, if you're that overweight without loading, I can't imagine it's safe when you are loaded. Even if the truck seems like it CAN tow it, can it stop it?

Check out fifthwheelst.com, I great source of towing info and calculators to help you determine a truck that will tow your toy hauler safely. Started by a fellow Heartland owner, this website is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollingWhiteThunder

Dave & Shelly
Pulling is one thing and stopping is another thing. We have a 2000 Ford DWR Power Stroke and it pulled our trailer fine but in panic stops & wind it was scary. We went to a MDT and I'll never go back. IMG_20140126_100143391_HDR.jpg Just my 2 cents worth.

oscar

The pin weight EMTPY of my 4100 is 3600#…...

What Heartland says a unit weighs does not include options and may or may not include liquids and certainly does not include stuff.

The ONLY way to get the correct weight of your fiver as it rolled out of the factory is the yellow sticker. The ONLY way to get the correct weight as you have loaded it up is to go to a scale.

And be prepared for surprises.

To the OP, yes you need a dually. Once you get it you will never go back.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Even if the truck seems like it CAN tow it, can it stop it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, if a towable is correctly engineered, it should be equipped with enough braking power to stop itself. That is why brakes are put on any trailer over 1500 lbs. Trace