F450/550 Question

beasleyrl

I'm considering upgrading my tow vehicle to better accommodate the weight of my Cyclone (which currently weighs in just about 19K pounds). I currently have a 2007 Chev Silverado 3500 Classic DRW 4x4. I'm looking at 2008/2009 F450's and 550's. On a number of sites, there are a lot of complaints about injector and performance problems on these vehicles. Any advice out there? My wife and I have always been GM/Chrysler people so the jump to Ford concerns us. Thanks! Roger

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Roger,

You know I like the FORD! Just be sure all the TSB,s and recalls have been applied if you get an '08. The earlier production '08 runs (JOB 1 and JOB 2) had a few corrections required. The JOB 3 run had all the issues corrected (for the most part). The '09's had even less issues.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Just curious if anyone has looked at the Dodge 4500 or 5500 chassis cabs. I wonder how the price with a hauler bed would compare to the F450/550?

PUG

Pug
I was pulling my 3950 cyclone with 3/4 ton chev duramax single rear wheels and was nervous and underpowered even though I had boosted +100 hp and heavier tires and air lifts. I just purchased a 09 dodge 1 ton dually short box mega cab with cummins and am absolutely tickled to death with the power and handling. I feel very safe now and the cummins pulls like crazy. More hp, sure it would be nice but this seems to work and I can still get it in the garage where a 4,500 forget it. I lovethe megacab and the short box like I said still fits in the garage with about 2 foot to spare.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm considering upgrading my tow vehicle to better accommodate the weight of my Cyclone (which currently weighs in just about 19K pounds). I currently have a 2007 Chev Silverado 3500 Classic DRW 4x4. I'm looking at 2008/2009 F450's and 550's. On a number of sites, there are a lot of complaints about injector and performance problems on these vehicles. Any advice out there? My wife and I have always been GM/Chrysler people so the jump to Ford concerns us. Thanks! Roger

That sounds like a smart move...towing 19,000lbs sounds like a F-550 to have a safety buffer. Try to get the new Diesel if you can.

billd

Another option is to look at a MDT (medium duty truck) built on an international or freightliner chassis. A place I have looked at is 2L Custom Trucks in TX. Their website is www.2lcustomtrucls.com. I am not an employee of that company, I just like how they set the trucks up for pulling and rider comfort.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Had two and get rid of them!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely horrid milage and the expense of repairs is astronomical..........very over rated and more than you need. I use an F250 SD Deisel and never looked back. DO NOT GET INVOLVED with the F450 or F550. I know of three that are for sale here so if you really want one let me know...................they can't sell them and I am sure they would love to hear from you!

beasleyrl

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the MDT idea but I'm not sure that is the best option for us right now. I like having the truck bed for day to day use. I think I've found the right truck - F450 with a 4.88 Axle. With that, it appears I can pull 24K and have a GCWR of 33K. That should do it. Now I just have to convince myself that I need a FORD...

rvn4fun

Try a used Freightliner business class, great fuel economy and very few problems. Very resonable prices out there now.

Delaine and Lindy

I purchased a pre-owned 2006 Freightliner M2 (50,000 miles) for what you will pay for a F-450. I can assure you Freightliner is like night and day difference that a pick-up. There is no comparison in the ride. And there in no Heartland product that will ever be to much for a real MDT Truck. We are at our National rally in Colorado Springs and since last years National rally there are 10 or more Freighliners pulling this year vs last year. Just the comfort and ride and performance is a selling point. l never will have to buy another Truck, my Freightliner has a Mercedes Diesel with the big Allison (3,000 series) and will run over 500,000 + miles before the engine will need any work. And I take my Freighliner any place you can take a F-450. Good Luck with you choice. The hauler beds is the only way to go if you pulling a 5th whee. GBY... .