Feedback requested on proposed Bighorn floor plan: 3200MB

jbeletti

Susan,

See my replies inline below. Thank you for your feedback!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I like the idea of an island with the sink and open up the back area a little. Also gives you the opportunity to turn around at the stove to put pots etc. on.

See what island would look like in the second image I placed in post #1 of this thread.

The sides of the stove don't afford much opportunity to do that. Especially if you love to cook like we do.

Right - room for a spoon on the left. But there is about 24" of counter on the right of the stove.

Can you point out where the entrance door is?

It's in the open area at the base of the stairs, forward dinette slide.

I can see where the refrigerator is and wondering if it is accessible with the slides in? Getting to the refrigerator without opening the slides is something we wish we could do.

Yes - you can access the right side of the refer with the slides in. See another image of this placed in post #1 of this thread.

Table and chairs- shows 2 chairs- is it really 4 and having a table extension leaf would be great

Two standard chairs will come with the table, plus a leaf. Most likely, 2 folding chairs with matching fabric will be included and stored in the bedroom closet.

Don't want to get too picky here but are there windows between the j-sofa and overhead cabinets- hope so or at least would recommend it.

Yes, there is a very long window there.

Yes, something for a small shelf above the bed if nightstands cannot be added is a must. With outlets on either side to plug things in.

Another question: where is the closest "hanging locker" coat/shoe storage in relation the the door? Don't want to traipse through the camper to hang up a wet jacket or change muddy shoes.

Many floor plans do not have a downstairs coat closet. I don't see one in this floor plan. Sorry.

But you really asked about:

Significant features:

• Sunken bathtub in all-in-one bathroom (about 12" deep with about half of that being below floor level) "Okay only if it has a place to sit in the corner too"
  • Rear Kitchen- "Works for me" see above
  • King Bed- "great for DH, me and 2 golden retriervers"
  • Two sofas (standard and L sofa)- "Probably would want recliners instead of additional sofa with j-sofa having a pullout bed.

Jim, thanks for asking our opinion

Please don't think I am trying to poke holes in the design. :) Just we have been actively searching floor plans and these are some of the things that come to mind.

Susan - no offense taken. Please continue to be give us frank feedback.

Thanks for reading,
Susan

sandman

Hey Jim, the thought on the back window is that most people thats had a coach without a back window wish they had one, i know were looking right now and the rear window is a must , so the bigger they can make it the better, but i know there is only so much they can do, and i think the island with the sink in it might be a really good idea.

ihsolutions

It would seem to me that the sunken tub, whether one likes the idea or not, is a separate issue from the question "do you like the floorplan?" So I'll answer both questions.

I would hope that a sunken tub is not designed in order to take a bath, at least not for humans. I can see a very limited amount of utility for those with pets, or very small children (which I happen to have, but not common amongst BH buyers). The sunken tub would not be something I'd care to see in my next coach.

As for the floorplan itself, I'm not a fan of rear kitchens. As I think about it more, for the way we travel, all the differences are negatives for us.

1. Further to the fridge while in transit (if it will even open with slides in)
2. Severe restrictions on the rear view while camping, which is my FAVORITE thing about our current floorplan - great big picture window, and I make sure to park to take advantage of it when possible
3. Unfavorable TV angles, as already mentioned

On the other hand, I can see some value in having the center living room for just congregating or lounging, but it would be not make up for the negatives listed above.

Just another opinion. There's a floorplan for everyone. But it's not something we would consider.

Jeff

jbeletti

Hey Jim, the thought on the back window is that most people thats had a coach without a back window wish they had one, i know were looking right now and the rear window is a must , so the bigger they can make it the better, but i know there is only so much they can do, and i think the island with the sink in it might be a really good idea.

Hi Marty,

Spoke to Coley and he said there will be plenty of glass in the rear area there.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The rear kitchen seems to put the space emphasis on the kitchen and not the living room area. I also don't like having the recliners in the slide because viewing the TV from the one close to the wall becomes a problem with the angle. You won't be able to rotate the chair much in that position, either.

As for the sunken tub, I dunno. What kind of supports will it have when it's full of water? But I would keep the two doors if you plan on having guests, even if they don't sleep over. It makes a good spot to stick your tush when making the king size bed. Speaking of that, if the sofa in the slide (in place of the recliners) is the sofa bed, then using as such it will make getting into the rear of the rig from the bedroom impossible.

I like the idea of the island in the kitchen. Never can have too much counter space to work on. One of the reasons we won't give up our 3670 (we've been ruined for life).

skyguy

Love the island in the kitchen. Love the open space in the bedroom.

Not too crazy about a J-couch. Our former SOB had a similar TV orientation - hated that, won't do that again.
Rick Hansen is spot on about the tub. If it takes 30 gallons (at 200 plus pounds) for just 6 inches of water depth, I'd want an "on-demand" water heater!

When we attended the Denver RV show recently, two designs stuck in our minds - a front living room design that include ONE recliner, set across from the stairs, and a real walk in closet in another design. (I know that's off topic, but I got in my two nickels worth...)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One thing to consider about sinking a tub; stepping up with wet feet to get out is an accident waiting to happen.

That and the demographics of who normally buys one of these big rigs. Older folks with worn-out or mechanical knees. Being only partially sunken makes for a potential trip hazard due to the uneven footing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have a 3400RE. Our first trailer we looked at was the 3670. I like the doors to the bathroom but agree that a pocket door would be good from the stairs. In our bathroom to take a shower in the morning I would wake up the DW. If the bathroom does not have a shower I will not buy it. I don't take baths, showers only. The sunken tub might have an advantage for those of us that are 6'-2" or more. If it weren't for the sky light I would not have head room. Because the bathroom is in the bedroom I have blacked out the skylight.

I am not sure I would like the rear kitchen, so I have no opinion there. I do want a coat closet at the entry big enough to hold a coat and maybe a couple pairs of shoes.

I would like the J couch to be replaced with a Theater couch and keep the recliners. I don't care for it to be sticking out and taking up room to walk around. We may replace our recliners with a small theater couch. I have seen a couple that others have already purchased.

One thing I would really look at if I were buying another trailer is to have a taller entry. I have to duck to go through our entrance door and don't always duck far enough. Another ducking problem is the entrance to the shower. I have skinned my head on the small bar over the doorway.

In my 3400RE we don't have a washer/dryer. I use the W/D closet for my clothes. Pat has the entire front closet.

Our TV is over the back which means that we are looking at it at an angle but it is a 42" so it is not to bad. A smaller TV across the room and have to pull it out I would not like. I believe a lot of the TV's on these swing out brackets bounce a lot and may cause them to be damaged easier. My 42" is solidly mounted to the frame of the trailer and I have had no problems with it.

BC

ihsolutions

I have skinned my head on the small bar over the doorway.

Oh yeah!!! Same here, x100! Family genes say I shouldn't go bald, but every time that bar scalps me I think I'm losing a few dozen follicles.

If the sunken tub fixes this problem, I'm all for it!

LTZ

California-N Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi Jim,

Our old SOB was an RK and we liked the layout. The island and the sink is a great idea and deeper cabinets in the rear is good. A swing mount for the TV and a fireplace option are other good ideas. How about separating the bathroom ? the toilet on one side and the shower and vanity on the other. That would open up the bedroom area. The DW has knee trouble and the sunken shower could be an issue with her. When the design is finalized could the final floor plan be posted ? Thanks for letting us add our thoughts.