Few inverter install questions

carl.swoyer

The code from the Onan genset I don't recall. But when I called Onan with the code that was their explanation.?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

The genset runs at a constant 3600 RPM, no load to full load.
It shouldn't be running at any other speed.
If overloaded, the breaker should kick out.

Unless you you have one of Onan's newest inverter-diesel genset

Mine runs at ~2600 IIRC, belt driven so the generator itself is at 3600. It's not an inverter, constant speed. The older Onans ran at 1800 with a generator designed for that RPM, much quieter....

porthole

Retired
Mine runs at ~2600 IIRC, belt driven so the generator itself is at 3600. It's not an inverter, constant speed. The older Onans ran at 1800 with a generator designed for that RPM, much quieter....

5500 series

3600 = generator
2400 = engine

Unless things have changed, then:
Genset output voltage is maintained by the Genset controller varying the field current.
Genset frequency is controlled by the engine speed and varies between (approx) 59Hz to 63Hz

Last edited:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Some Questions :
1. Will 2 avg size batteries get me through nite?

3. I assume I need additional transfer switch, is there a multi source switch that can switch between mains, generator, and inverter?
QUOTE]

1. I use 3 group 31 batteries on my solar system. I solely use solar to power all 12volt power items and have not dropped below around 75% of my capacity. Typical 12 usage includes, refrigerator controls (propane when no AC electric available and AC electric for heaters only otherwise), lights, jacks, water heater controls similar to refer. vent fans in bath and kitchen. In the early spring and late fall, I also supplement the heat strip (in my rear AC unit) with the furnace using propane and 12V only. Typically, my 12v power usage is around 1000 watts without any inverter.

3. I am considering a hybrid Magnum, It has a transfer switch that will supplement power sources so you can use multiple sources at the same time.
https://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-msh3012m-hybrid-inverter.html
Biggest delay in installing an inverter is keeping the inverter as close to the batteries as I can on a travel trailer.

My solar panels can recharge my batteries in just a couple of hours and still have plenty of power for daily use. Not sure that It would during the short, low sunlight days here in Iowa during the winter but it does keep the batteries fully charged all winter long with low power usage.

carl.swoyer

This is my Magnum Inverter Ms 2812. Four group 31 deka agm batteries stores in a wooden box directly under the Magnum. I also have thick aluminum shims between the Magnum and the wood box. Above the inverter and to the left is my morning star duo charge controller. This solar charge controller allows me to split the incoming charge to each battery bank. I can do a 90/10 or a50/50 split. It will charge both banks of batteries at the same time even at the correct charge rate. ( agm and wet cells).
07342c3e25ae0b6fda806c62c677fbc0.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk