Fifth wheel hitch advice

Redrider007

Hello everyone!!! Im hoping to be a heartland owner soon and need advice. Im looking to purchase a Big Country 3070re and need suggestions on a good hitch. I have a long bed truck and the trailers gross eeight rating is sbout 14,000 lbs. Thanks !!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello everyone!!! Im hoping to be a heartland owner soon and need advice. Im looking to purchase a Big Country 3070re and need suggestions on a good hitch. I have a long bed truck and the trailers gross eeight rating is sbout 14,000 lbs. Thanks !!!

B&W companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

B&W Companion. You don't mention what truck you have. If it is a late model Ford or Ram, then they have an OEM compatible hitch for their factory 5th wheel prep. This setup is about as slick as it gets.

szewczyk_john

I second the trailer saver BD-3. These are made by the people at hensley hitch. Very good unit. Also comes apart for those that remove the hithc from the tow vehicle. Expensive but worth it in my eyes.

Miller0758

ahh, the old "good hitch" can of worms. There are as many opinions as there are members but ultimately, you have to make a decision and don't look back.

dave10a

The dealer installed a Reese 20k and TrailAir pin box on mine when I purchased the trailer. I knew nothing about hitch. I have not had any problems and never regretted the installation. However the TrailAir is definitely a good choice as well as any other air bag hitch situation. It would be nice if people would explain specifically why the like or dislike something--- My hitch is virtually impossible to high hitch or unsafely hitch if the safety pin seats properly. My hitch can be difficult to unhitch if there is forward tension on the pin-- that is the only draw back for a Reese hitch. So one must take any forward pressure off the pin to easily unhitch. Also I have hooked up at any angle without problems. Other hitches are great as well, I suppose, and cost of a reputable manufacturer would be a rational consideration.