Finding Low Clearances

Dan54

Experimented with the Trucker Path app which shows low clearance obstacles but doesn't define what height is considered a low clearance. Planning on taking Rte 30/Lincoln Highway back to NE Ohio from Utah next month. Can anyone recommend a way to research the route? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Since most trailers are 13'6" and 14' is considered a min for Interstate I would say anything under 14' would be low.

Dan54

If you use a Garmin or Rand McNally or other GPS get the entire low clearance data base and load everything in except what is higher than your fifth wheel.

http://www.lowclearances.com/

Lowclearances.com says their Route-1 software can be loaded into vehicle manufacturers built in gps units- those that accept 3rd party point of interest info. Does anyone have experience doing this with a Ford gps unit? I have a 2017 f350 w/factory gps.

Mark-Roberta 051995

Since most trailers are 13'6" and 14' is considered a min for Interstate I would say anything under 14' would be low.

I thought that most campers were 13' 2" max. - The Chesapeake Bay bridge is labled as 13'4" or 13'6" - I have been through there twice and had the feeling of my AC unit scrapping the ceiling of the tunnel but was fine after I came out.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Bay bridge tunnel is 13’ 6”. Our BH is 13’ 3”. Been through it. Don’t want hit any humps at high speed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PondSkum

How are you guys getting an accurate measurement of your trailer height? I don't think going off of the manufacturer's dimensions has been very accurate for many things, so I'd like to get an accurate height measurement. Also, I feel that the truck/hitch height could affect the height near the front of the trailer by an inch or 2...

Dan54

I thought that most campers were 13' 2" max. - The Chesapeake Bay bridge is labled as 13'4" or 13'6" - I have been through there twice and had the feeling of my AC unit scrapping the ceiling of the tunnel but was fine after I came out.

Factory brochure says my camper is 12'11". I feel I need about 14' of clearance because of adding a foot for the ac & the sat dish. When I pull it out of storage I will do an actual measurement.

danemayer

Hitch the trailer to the truck so you'll get a reading that's representative of how you tow. Find a nice level parking lot.

Place a carpenter's level or 2x4 or other device on top of the front A/C unit (if that's the highest spot on the roof) with a plumb line hanging down over the side.

If you have a helper, you can mark off the feet on the plumb line in advance and the helper down below can read the markings. You can add inch marks between 12'6" and 13'6" on the line.

You may want to allow 2 or 3 inches of buffer relative to low clearance signs in case the road has been resurfaced without changing the sign.

Never ever ever go by the specs. First off, you'd be betting your trailer on the accuracy. Second, if a dealer changed out an A/C unit and installed a higher profile unit, the height would be different. Third, your truck height and hitch height will not necessarily leave you towing level.

Measure.

travelin2

Factory brochure says my camper is 12'11". I feel I need about 14' of clearance because of adding a foot for the ac & the sat dish. When I pull it out of storage I will do an actual measurement.

Yes. Do that measurement. Stated height is their estimate including AC. Brochure says my BH is 13’ 1”. At last measurement I’m 13’ 2 3/4” hooked to the SD as we’d go down the highway.

travelin2

How are you guys getting an accurate measurement of your trailer height? I don't think going off of the manufacturer's dimensions has been very accurate for many things, so I'd like to get an accurate height measurement. Also, I feel that the truck/hitch height could affect the height near the front of the trailer by an inch or 2...

Hook ‘er up, truck and camper loaded as you’d travel, park on a paved/concrete surface. From the roof, use a 6-8 ft straight edge laid across the high point of the front AC, measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the pavement. Measure from both sides and average the measurements to account for any variation in the pavement.

travelin2

https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/LowClearanceBridgeInfo.pdf

Note their qualifier, third party data. Case in point...GA- no data. I can tell you we had to do a u-turn for low clearance plus we slowly passed under another marked 13’ 5” on US 76. Neither recognized by our Garmin.
Personally I don’t blindly trust any database because conditions are constantly changing.

ziggysun

Lowclearances.com says their Route-1 software can be loaded into vehicle manufacturers built in gps units- those that accept 3rd party point of interest info. Does anyone have experience doing this with a Ford gps unit? I have a 2017 f350 w/factory gps.

I didn't want to mess with the factory GPS settings in the truck just yet, so when I subscribed to the lowclearances.com website I downloaded the info and then embedded it into my Google maps account so I can access it from my phone or tablet. Our trailer is 13'3" hooked up to truck and I have all low points 13'5" and under marked. It was my understanding that most Interstates are a minimum of 13'6", but when I used that height a lot more things got flagged on my maps account.

wdk450

FYI, a GREAT resource of downloadable data for your GPS receivers is the POI-Factory.com . This free website has LOADS of files that you can download into your GPS. I personally have downloaded a national listing of campgrounds, the low bridge heights data, all Thousand Trails Resorts, restaurants featured on the Food Network Show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives", Diesel Fuel Stations, Passport America discount parks, and all Walmarts.

pegmikef

I use low clearances, but I always check my routes against a current truckers atlas (with few exceptions, if it is not good for trucks, ain't good for me).

Dan54

For those that have used lowclearances.com did you load the software into your iOS or android device or your stand alone gps or factory installed nav? Seems like the gps or nav would be the way to go if you can because using a phone based app would leave you in the dark in areas where there is little/no cell service.
Wdk450 thanks, I'll check out POI-Factory.com.

CoveredWagon

For those that have used lowclearances.com did you load the software into your iOS or android device or your stand alone gps or factory installed nav? Seems like the gps or nav would be the way to go if you can because using a phone based app would leave you in the dark in areas where there is little/no cell service.
Wdk450 thanks, I'll check out POI-Factory.com.

I loaded it on to my Garmin LMT 660 Rv

Dan54

I loaded it on to my Garmin LMT 660 Rv

How do like your Garmin? Did the lowclearances software integrate easily? I have a Garmin nuvi 1490 LMT, not sure it will work since it's an older model. The LC website did say it would work with the Garmin nuvi line.

CoveredWagon

How do like your Garmin? Did the lowclearances software integrate easily? I have a Garmin nuvi 1490 LMT, not sure it will work since it's an older model. The LC website did say it would work with the Garmin nuvi line.

The Garmin does everything they say it was supposed to do. Low clearances fits easily once you figure how to do it. I didn’t get it at first, but then I’m not a techno geek. I like the new Garmin.
i tested the Garmin by putting it in Rv mode with my settings and then drove sans Rv and tried to see how it would act if I tried to go under a low bridge. Garmin tried like **** to make me take another route. The LC add on did not. I contacted them and they told me it was not in their data base. They thanked me and said it would be added to the next update.