Finishing up our Planning

teasac69

Finishing up my planning for our Colorado trip...... going to end up in Durango, CO and start to camp our way back to Texas. Any suggestions for attractions in New Mexico we should not pass up?

Does not appear to be much RV camping available anywhere around the south rim of the Grand Canyon??? only one I can find that provides hook ups and they are booked until August?? Anything close enough to use and commute back to GC? Flagstaff is 75 miles away but you could still make a day trip?

Just looking to top off what is shaping up to be a great Colorado escape from the Texas summer.

thanks always for your tips and advice.

jimtoo

We stayed at Williams, AZ. Several nice parks and places to visit and eat, and it's a nice day drive to the canyon. Also a nice day drive to visit the Sunset Crater National Park and then drive on to the end of the Grand Canyon. A really good restaurant was somewhere near the turnoff going back along side the canyon. Don't remember the name, but think it was Indian operated.

Jim M

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We were on the So Rim in March. We stayed in Williams, AZ about 55 mi to the GC.

kowAlski631

We were just in Williams in June. Several nice RV campgrounds there and an easy drive to the south rim.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also liked Williams Az. We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park, and road the train to the Canyon. Neat experience, just not enough time at the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
In Albuquerque, check out the Nuclear and Ballon museums. Old downtown is also interesting. You can take the Railrunner train up to Santa Fe, it is really quite cheap. We didn't find that much in Los Cruces but did enjoy one golf course.

kowAlski631

In Albuquerque, check out the Nuclear and Ballon museums. Old downtown is also interesting. You can take the Railrunner train up to Santa Fe, it is really quite cheap. We didn't find that much in Los Cruces but did enjoy one golf course.

We enjoyed the Nuclear Museum also and it's relatively close to a nice KOA. We also went to the aquarium and botanical gardens which were okay.

jrdelung

If you're going to the Durango area, you have to visit Mesa Verde National Park. Give yourself all day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited: