For those that don't know about shackles...

Bones

I too swapped mine out for the Morryde only because I was stripping everything to convert to disc brake upgrade. 11K looked good. Morryde definitely beefier no doubt.
Had 30K miles on the 3010, if those shackles had any wear it was minimal and hidden behind the bolt heads and nuts. There was no audio indications when driving slowly through a CG with the window down (unlike my utility trailer)!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine squeeks creeks and groans when going through the campground.

danemayer

Squeaks and groans might be undesirable noises that could be indicating stress on the parts. Lubrication?

Bones

Squeaks and groans might be undesirable noises that could be indicating stress on the parts. Lubrication?

I have tried and doesn't work. hence my suspecting that the bushings are on their way out and my order for new suspension components. I may have exceeded their life already.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our Big Country was also squeaking and groaning after a year. New MorRyde shackles and wet bolts have quieted that! Sadly I forgot to ask for our old parts. Didn't get to see them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler has squeaked and squawked ever since the day we bought it (and it was only four months from the date of birth).

NYSUPstater

We just installed the MorRyde Wet Bolt kit a week ago. Coach came w/ the MorRyde CR3000 middle suspension. Tho brand new, all the plastic bushings were a bear to get out. The CR3000 already had the bronze bushings so didn't replace them. I damaged 1 bushing upon install, so used one of the extras. 1 bolt wouldn't take grease, so I called MorRyde and they sent me 2 as I either stripped the threads on a nut or bolt on other side cuz I cannot tighten nor remove the nut. Hammered out bolt that wouldn't take grease and re-installed new 1. It took grease AOK. Just feel a whole lot better knowing the stock junk isn't in there anymore.

Roller4tan

Installing MorRyde wet bolts and shackle kit, got one side done today (got a late start)
WornShackles.jpgWorn Shackles
WornBolts.jpgWorn Bolts , Lock teeth worn down
These had about 10,000 miles on them.
NewOld Shackle.jpgOld shackles next to MorRyde shackles
The nylon inserts were worn but not all the way through.
Decided to repack wheel bearings and found one of the brake shoes worn and cracked. So off tomorrow to a dealer for
brake assemblies.

Roller4tan

Finished ODS suspension yesterday. Grease flowed thru all bolts. Brakes on this side looked better. Searched Mid-Michigan for replacement assemblies with no luck. Ordered dexter replacements on etrailer.com, should have them in a week or so, free shipping.
23-464-465Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake Kit - 12" - Left and Right Hand Assemblies - 7K

Used an old bolt with the new bronze insert on it to drive out the nylon bushing, one step install.

LBR

Installing MorRyde wet bolts and shackle kit, got one side done today (got a late start)
View attachment 53344Worn Shackles
View attachment 53345Worn Bolts , Lock teeth worn down
These had about 10,000 miles on them.
View attachment 53346Old shackles next to MorRyde shackles
The nylon inserts were worn but not all the way through.
Decided to repack wheel bearings and found one of the brake shoes worn and cracked. So off tomorrow to a dealer for
brake assemblies.
Thanx for your last picture depicting the differences.....greatly appreciated.

JohnD

Finished ODS suspension yesterday. Grease flowed thru all bolts. Brakes on this side looked better. Searched Mid-Michigan for replacement assemblies with no luck. Ordered dexter replacements on etrailer.com, should have them in a week or so, free shipping.
23-464-465Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake Kit - 12" - Left and Right Hand Assemblies - 7K

Used an old bolt with the new bronze insert on it to drive out the nylon bushing, one step install.

I'm surprised that in Mid-Michigan you can't find those parts . . .

By the by . . . we are from Jackson, Michigan.

Roller4tan

I'm surprised that in Mid-Michigan you can't find those parts . . .

By the by . . . we are from Jackson, Michigan.

Tried 2 dealers and Road Equipment in Cadillac. Drove to camping world in houghton lake, they had manual adjusters, said the get their auto adjust from O'reillys. Oreilly doesn't carry them (per asst manager). Enough driving for the day as we started out in Marion, MI. We have a house down state in Taylor, but are rarely there.

JohnD

I miss going up north.

We are hoping to come back there maybe next year with our Prowler.

My 40th. class reunion will be sometime next fall and thinking about making the trip then.

wdk450

This whole thread is another argument for the Independent Suspension upgrade. No more shackles, equalizers, springs, shock absorbers, bushings to worry about.

Bones

This whole thread is another argument for the Independent Suspension upgrade. No more shackles, equalizers, springs, shock absorbers, bushings to worry about.
You still have suspension components to worry about.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Yep. Porthole experienced/discovered an issue with his IS upon returning from Goshen.

wdk450

Any system with parts is going to have parts failures to worry about. Each part is a potential point of failure.

The 2 axle conventional trailer suspension has 7 pivot points per side (11, if you count the front and rear shackle link pivot points separately) with 7 bushings per side, 2 leaf springs, 4 shackle links, 2 shock absorbers and 1 equalizer. That's 14 (22) pivot points, 14 bushings, 4 leaf springs, 8 shackle links, 4 shock absorbers and 2 equalizers per trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-double-eye-trailer-suspension-review.aspx

The IS system has 1 rubber spring, 1 shock absorber and 1 pivot point per wheel - for a total of 4 rubber springs, 4 shock absorbers and 4 pivot points.
BTW, I was in error when I said that the MorRyde IS doesn't use shock absorbers. http://www.morryde.com/products/87-independent-suspension-system