Furnace Noise/smell

tjwoll05

My wife and I have recently started to notice a slight high pitch winding noise coming from the furnace when it comes on recently like it’s working harder than it needs to. We have been living in it for about 4-5 months now. It’s a 2018 Heartland Road-warrior 427. I’m sure it’s fine but I want to get ahead of the problem if there is one. I know there is no filters on these but is there any other preventative maintenance on these to keep them going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram22

No experience, but just my instinct from your description is fan bearing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know it can be difficult to get repair work done when you are living in you rig so if you are a bit handy you can remove the fornace and take it to a dealer and have them check it out. You will need to turn off your propane tanks and pull the fuse for the furnace.
As already mentioned it could be a bearing, loose fan or a couple of other things.
Come back and let us know what the final outcome is.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

Seeing that your unit is a 2018 the last thing I would expect is a fan bearing. I would start by turning your fan on at the T-Stat to see if you hear the noise. This would eliminate the burner. If the noise doesn't appear with just the fan running then fire it up to see if it is coming from the burner. If you determine it is from the burner look to see if there is any obstruction in front of the jet or crude on it. At the same time check the outside air inlet/exhaust manifold for obstructions. Sometimes I have found the burner air adjustment causing a high pitch noise. If you hear the noise when in the fan only mode then again look for obstructions. Good Luck!

danemayer

I would start by turning your fan on at the T-Stat to see if you hear the noise. This would eliminate the burner. If the noise doesn't appear with just the fan running then fire it up to see if it is coming from the burner.

It's a good thought, but I'm afraid the fan that comes on when you set the thermostat to FAN will be the air condition's blower, not the furnace blower.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As it is under warranty, I would not recommend removing the furnace yourself without instructions from Heartland or The furnace manufacturer to do so.

We just had our furnace replaced a month ago. I notice a slight high pitched sound when it runs, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Ours is a Suburban.

Your title mentions a smell, but you don't mention it in the post.

Is there any diminished airflow? Has it been running "normally" and then suddenly changed? How about propane? Is the tank getting low?

You can contact Heartland with your concerns and they may offer some troubleshooting, or guide you to a dealer near you or a mobile tech to come to you. (Heartland will likely not pay for a mobile tech trip charge.)

jerryjay11

It's a good thought, but I'm afraid the fan that comes on when you set the thermostat to FAN will be the air condition's blower, not the furnace blower.

Yeah, That's correct. Then I would try with gas off and to isolate it that way.

Last edited:

tjwoll05

As it is under warranty, I would not recommend removing the furnace yourself without instructions from Heartland or The furnace manufacturer to do so.

We just had our furnace replaced a month ago. I notice a slight high pitched sound when it runs, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Ours is a Suburban.

Your title mentions a smell, but you don't mention it in the post.

Is there any diminished airflow? Has it been running "normally" and then suddenly changed? How about propane? Is the tank getting low?

You can contact Heartland with your concerns and they may offer some troubleshooting, or guide you to a dealer near you or a mobile tech to come to you. (Heartland will likely not pay for a mobile tech trip charge.)

I’m thinking it’s fine. I asked my wife if she noticed it too thinking I may just be overly sensitive and she agreed. The smell is initially and usually goes away or we just get use to it. Propane tanks are full, air flow is normal. Like I said I wasn’t sure if there was maybe some preventative maintenance I should have been doing.