Getting all 6 tires off the ground

denverkas

I have just started researching the tires that came on my 2014 CY4000 Elite. They are Towmax and from what I have read, I am considering replacing them right away with something else. Here is my question for this thread, I know that I can use the 6 point hydraulic leveling system to lift the camper off of the wheels to remove them. Is it OK to have this 6 point leveling system lift the entire camper to remove the 6 tires at once, or should I only do one side at a time?

porthole

Retired
The LevelUp will lift the whole rig - level. If you do one side you could very well start twisting the end caps of the trailer.
Think you your garage door going from a rectangle to a parallelogram.

And an extra FYI, the system is designed to minimize that tweaking. If you try and lift one side too high (compared to the opposite) you will get an error message about excessive angle.

Easiest way? use the auto level. once done start lifting left-right-left etc until your tires clear.

BTW, I have found the smoothest way to retract the jacks when they are fully supporting the trailer is to use the auto retract feature. Seems to be less of a shock that way.

If you are still connected to your truck there is no issue using the auto retract.
If you are not connected you can still use the auto mode, just be prepared to hit one of the buttons once the tires are on the ground.

That is the "panic mode" and stops all movement.

beasleyrl

I'm sure you'll get people of both sides of this...

When I had mine installed, the folks at Trailair (which included the guy that designed Level up, Dale Fenton) said the system will absolutely support the entire weight of the rig without a problem and verbally didn't discourage its use for this purpose. However, he went on to say that for legal reasons, Lippert's documentation said do not rely on them for maintenance under the rig.

Saying that, I can tell you I've used the system to support 1 side of the rig (3 tires at a time) off the ground numerous times for tire/spring maintenance. I don't think I would ever crawl under the rig without something mechanical to support it as a safety. What is the chance of a hose failure? Not likely, but I'm not one to role the dice when it comes to life safety.

KiwiRVer

Did it today; lifted all four wheels off the ground to replace all four Towmax with Firestone Transforce LT tires. I would note that you should put blocks under the landing legs if you are changing tire sizes. We replaced the Towmax 235/80/16s with 235/85/16s and as the legs were only just able to get the wheels off the ground while still hitched to the truck we had to put some blocks under the legs so that the larger tires could be put back on.