Getting my Windows Tinted

farside291

I am having a metalized film put on all windows. I took the temperature at the glass yesterday at 6:00 pm. When the film is installed I will take another picture showing the temperature. Hopefully there will be a big temperature difference. If not I just wasted a lot of money!

Attachments

• 20170614_171915_resized.jpg
    20170614_171915_resized.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 100

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I used a Gila brand reposition-able Heat Control "cling" film that I applied myself. I didn't see much difference with the heat gun aimed at the window in before and after tests. However, the actual heat that transfers through the window into the air and on surfaces was reduced by 10-15 degrees, so test a surface where direct sun is hitting through the glass, then test that area same time tomorrow after the firm is applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

I was not aware of the difference between radiant heat and direct heat. The heat that seems to be the worst is direct heat, that is the heat that comes directly from the sun. The radiant heat is the heat that is all around the trailer. The film that is being installed is supposed to cut the direct heat by 66% and radiant heat almost 100%. We will soon see, I will post back with the results later. I am keeping my fingers crossed because that film was EXPENSIVE!

TravelTiger

I may not be calling them the right things. Directly touching the glass feels similar as before the tint, but the air inside the window feels less hot after the film install. Feeling the surfaces the sun is shining on through the glass are definitely not as hot with the film.

farside291

I am having a metalized film put on all windows. I took the temperature at the glass yesterday at 6:00 pm. When the film is installed I will take another picture showing the temperature. Hopefully there will be a big temperature difference. If not I just wasted a lot of money!

Ok, they are tinted. Same window, same time, and same outdoor temp. What a difference. We left the shades up all weekend. Inside temperatures stayed in the 70s. Outside temperatures in the mid to low 90s.

Attachments

• 20170616_165849.jpg
    20170616_165849.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 43

TravelTiger

Wow thanks for sharing! Please post what kind of film you had installed and a cost, if you would like to share.

NYSUPstater

Before the yo-yos in Albany NY decided to have inspection stations enforce window tint laws, I admit, I am a bad boy here and have had all my vehicles windows tinted except the w/s. Tint was not the deep dark limo tint, but more like a med that you still could see in albeit a lil dark. Anyways, the temp diff between the w/s and doors was immense. Could definitely feel the difference and A/C worked sooooo much better. Could actually put arm on door rest while driving and not get "baked".

There is a tint made by 3M that's darn near clear as a bell w/ some small degree of darkness to it, but NOTHING like what auto stores or 99% of tint shops sell. Keeps 99% of UV rays out and yes some heat is transfrred in, but again, nothing like if you have nothing on windows. I have it on my truck (think it's the 70% rating) and you'd be hard pressed to see that the windows are tinted. Does a bang up job as well as the dark tints, but clear. You'll have to go to 3M's website to find dealers near you and they are not everywhere's which could pose a problem if you want it done. So if you have dark windows on your coach now, may want to consider this option.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We had ours tinted in Phoenix last year. All of the windows in the living area were done and we went with a bit darker a tint as well. What a difference it made heat wise. With the shades down its even better. I did not do a heat comparison other than before the tint in the 95 degree Phoenix heat we couldn't touch the windows. After tinting was completed we could. The rear AC would run non stop before the tint and after it will cycle properly on Auto.

BusManRG

Wow thanks for sharing! Please post what kind of film you had installed and a cost, if you would like to share.

Really hoping to get this info myself! I'll be looking into the Gila film also. Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg, but this might be something to add to my "someday" list.

Sandy

farside291

The tint was called Lumar Film ATR 5 and it was a metal based tint with a 66% block. They had the clear film as well and it is a ceramic based but only had a 56% block. We chose to go with the higher and sacrifice the light inside the RV. But there were about 4 choices of each type with varying prices. Before we had the silver bubble stuff all over the windows anyway so we could see out. It is strange to go outside and get blinded by the bright sun because you don't realize how bright it is with the film. For my BC 3950FB it was $700.00. It cost about $150.00 less if I brought the trailer to him at his shop, not practical. I just ate the additional costs and had him come to the park and do the windows. Would I do again, YES. It is worth it. It's so nice to have all the shades up, even the day time shade is now left in the up position. Also, at night with the LED ceiling lights on you cannot see into the RV at all from the outside but you can still see out. He said he couldn't do the door window because of the texture so I will have to leave the bubble stuff on that window. You can't see out of it anyway. Eventually I will replace the glass in the door with a tinted piece to match the rest of the windows. The windows are jet black during the day, looks very nice!

BusManRG

The tint was called Lumar Film ATR 5 and it was a metal based tint with a 66% block. They had the clear film as well and it is a ceramic based but only had a 56% block. We chose to go with the higher and sacrifice the light inside the RV. But there were about 4 choices of each type with varying prices. Before we had the silver bubble stuff all over the windows anyway so we could see out. It is strange to go outside and get blinded by the bright sun because you don't realize how bright it is with the film. For my BC 3950FB it was $700.00. It cost about $150.00 less if I brought the trailer to him at his shop, not practical. I just ate the additional costs and had him come to the park and do the windows. Would I do again, YES. It is worth it. It's so nice to have all the shades up, even the day time shade is now left in the up position. Also, at night with the LED ceiling lights on you cannot see into the RV at all from the outside but you can still see out. He said he couldn't do the door window because of the texture so I will have to leave the bubble stuff on that window. You can't see out of it anyway. Eventually I will replace the glass in the door with a tinted piece to match the rest of the windows. The windows are jet black during the day, looks very nice!

Thank you for the info! That's a huge improvement. I'll be looking into that next year. We don't have dual pane windows, so I'm sure this will make a big difference.

Sandy

TravelTiger

Post a pic from the outside and inside, when you can. Just curious!

farside291

Post a pic from the outside and inside, when you can. Just curious!

Here are the pictures inside and out. These pictures were taken at 5:30 pm.

And, these were taken with LED lights on inside. I am not going to lie, it is much darker inside

Attachments

• 20170619_174955_resized.jpg
    20170619_174955_resized.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20170619_175331_resized.jpg
    20170619_175331_resized.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170619_175353_resized.jpg
    20170619_175353_resized.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 43

Power247

Looks awesome!! I have been looking for a place to have my truck windows tinted but have been researching which product to use. I think I found the right stuff. Thanks!

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310