Going with Portables... Any reason to still get Gen Prep Option?

kdubinwa

Getting ready to order a new Bighorn and expect to use a couple of 2K Hondas when dry camping (10-15% of the time). Pretty unlikely I'll ever want a Onan LP up front.

Is there still a compelling reason to get the Gen Prep option? If ordered gen prep I would probably ask for the steel box delete in the front compartment so to not loose that space. The just rig a power drop from my pickup bed to the transfer switch. Alternately I can always just run direct to the coach power cable with a dogbone adapter since I don't dry camp except a couple times a year.

Thoughts/suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Kurt

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

Storage space on an RV is as valuable as Tokyo real estate. Given the tone of your narrative, I would not get the generator prep.

DougS

Doug S
I have been using the two Honda's for about 8 years and for us they work great. I do not believe you can order the gen prep without the box anymore, but I could be wrong. I run my gens from the bed of the pickup through a 30 amp shore line I ran up to the pin box.
I like the fact that when you move onto another rig you do not have to lose your investment or move the gen to the new unit.