Good (or bad) repair shops in western washington?

AKDallBH

My wife and I are on our way down to Sequim from Alaska. A couple of weeks the landing gear failed and caused substantial damage.Our insurance company said once we get to washington to take it toa repair shop and have them generate an estimate. Anybodyhave suggestions forba god one (or ones to avoid) in the Port Angelous area, Tacoma, or Seattle?Damage besides the landing gear includes: - buckling of the outside panel above the bedroom slide.- seperation of the side/front panels- saggng of the panels around the hitch- propane door is no longer square- cracking of the interior panels above the bedroon slide and in the closet- it appears the roof seam rright above the bedroom slideout is up about 1.5 inches in one spot.I suspect they may need to stip things back about 8' to really see all damage.Advice?Scott

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Scott, I suggest that you contact Heartland Customer Service.
Although it is kind of hard to see from here, by your description it sounds like you have the frame flex problem.
Take some pictures of all the separations, inside and out, have your VIN handy, make the call and explain the situation.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Scott:
I would suggest that you use the advanced search function at the upper right corner of any forum page, and search the terms "frame flex". Learn all that you can. The repair involves removing the front fiberglass cap of the trailer (Heartland even removes the bedroom slide in doing the repair at their plant), and re-welding and reinforcing frame stress points with triangular steel gussets. I got Heartland to repair mine with it being in their repair bays in Elkhart for a week, but they will ONLY do this themselves at Elkhart - no instances of local repair and compensation that I know of.

You might check out the RVServiceReviews website for Washington State to get ideas on RV Repairers in the area. If you can find a shop that specializes in collision repairs in that area, they might be better at this repair than the average RV repair guy. Heartland Service may be able to steer you to shops they have used under their "anybody you choose" RV warranty program. They keep lists of shops.

Pinbox area frame flex is an industry wide 5th wheel problem. Newer frames have the re-enforcing gussets welded in. Your 2008 frame is the same year as mine, right in the middle of the worst of this problem. Take pictures, and measurements loaded and unloaded pinbox. Estimates I had for local repair in Sacramento was about $4000. It cost me about $2000 in fuel and RV park charges to round trip to Elkhart from California.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did the trailer drop to the ground when you had the landing gear failure?? It sounds to me like you have extensive damage to the outside walls, roof structure and probably bad frame damage. If the roof structure, outside wall frame work, and the "I" beams in the frame under the bedroom are bent....it will be a tough repair. I have seen this before and the damage was so bad that the trailer was a total. This is not to say yours is...but be prepared. So sorry this happened.

Crumgater

We're in Western WA... once you get to Mt. Vernon (about an hour south of the Canadian border) you'll start to see RV places all over... there's a Camping World in Mt. Vernon. Not sure I'd recommend them, though.

We've only had work done at two places:
1. our dealer in Fife (North suburb of Tacoma): Baydos
2. a new place in Monroe, WA (east of Seattle): Open Road RV
both are Heartland authorized service centers and did good work for us.

I'm sure there are other though, hopefully Heartland can help point you to one that can help. Sounds like a painful event. So sorry. Hope you're back together and able to enjoy your travels soon!
-Tina

piet10

We had to have an emergency roof repair this summer. Brazels in Centralia Washington was recommended. They are just South of Olympia, I believe you will have to go very near there. They have an RV park on site for customers, free if repair is over $500. We just left the trailer for them to work on and made day trips for 3 days. Easy day trips to Mt. St. Helens, Mount Ranier, and Portland. They made room in their schedule to get us in. I found them very professional and did quality work. I'd travel out of my way if I needed repairs in the area again. They are service only, no sales so they have to make it on good service.

If you go there talk to Alan Sanders, tell him Al with the Greystone roof recommended them.

Al

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have had amazing work done by Wescraft RV in Fife both times we had blowouts. Quality work!!

AKDallBH

Thanks for all the leads. After reading more about the frame flex, i think I will call heartland first and see what they say. We are in Kelowna now and will going down to lake chelan tomorow then over the cascades to North Bend or so on Monday. May be able to get one ofbthe repair shops to at least look atvit with an educated eye on our way to sequim.

Scott