Goodyear G614

danemayer

On our RVs, the sticker on the side that shows the GVWR also shows the matching tire inflation. Our trailer is 16,000 GVWR. The tire inflation label shows 110psi to carry 3750# on each tire, which matches (or maybe is taken from) the Goodyear G614 spec.

The weigh-in shows we're actually running around 3200# on each tire (but I have had a previous weight as high as 3450 on one wheel).

With my worst case showing one of the wheels carrying 3450#, compared to a max weight spec of 3750#, that leaves a 300# margin when the tire is inflated to 110psi.

In theory, I could back off the inflation to 100psi and still have a little margin. And it's possible that would provide better road contact. But if the tire were significantly overinflated for the actual weight, I would be seeing center wear, which I'm not. So I run at 110psi and enjoy the safety margin.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Each tire manufacturer publishes a chart for the tires they produce indicating the proper inflation for the load they are carrying. Michelin even states that the correct pressure could be different between axles depending on the loading!
Here's some more information from Goodyear Towmax Michelin

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On our RVs, the sticker on the side that shows the GVWR also shows the matching tire inflation. Our trailer is 16,000 GVWR. The tire inflation label shows 110psi to carry 3750# on each tire, which matches (or maybe is taken from) the Goodyear G614 spec.

The weigh-in shows we're actually running around 3200# on each tire (but I have had a previous weight as high as 3450 on one wheel).

With my worst case showing one of the wheels carrying 3450#, compared to a max weight spec of 3750#, that leaves a 300# margin when the tire is inflated to 110psi.

In theory, I could back off the inflation to 100psi and still have a little margin. And it's possible that would provide better road contact. But if the tire were significantly overinflated for the actual weight, I would be seeing center wear, which I'm not. So I run at 110psi and enjoy the safety margin.

IMO you are doing the smart thing because if you take off with more water than usual or more grey or black tank 'stuff' than usual you add weight. Water is so heavy it can easily add up to 300 lbs.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders

Same here. I kept my "G" rated China bombs on my old Bighorn 3600RE at 110psi and never had a problem with them for over 5 years and approx. 30,000 miles. Still had decent tread when I sold it.

desertden

I have combed through the internet looking for information and specifications on Goodyear G614 and G114 tires that people talk about on this forum, but have not found anything. The "Official Goodyear Website" does not bring up anything on those tires. Where did you guys find specs on them?

JanAndBill

Just came from the Goodyear dealer. While I was there I was checking on replacing our Towmax tires with the G614 RST. This tire only comes in the LT335/85R16 which should make it a little taller than the Towmax, but when I checked the Towmax spec sheet, it shows the Goodyear actually having a smaller overall diameter at 30.7 in. At 12/32" tread depth it would have 2/32 more than the Towmax. The G614 is a steel bellted tire as opposed to the Towmax nylon belts. Per the spec sheet printed out at the store, the G614 carries a "G" load rating designed for trailer applications vs the Towmax "E" rating. At 110 psi it has a load rating of 3750# vs the Towmax rating of 3640# at 80 psi. At $393 per tire out the door they are more expensive than the Towmax for sure. Lastly the G614 is rated at 75 mph vs the Towmax 65 mph. Besides the cost, the only major concern I have is the higher air pressure requirement on the G614. I'm pretty sure the aluminum rims on my unit are only rated at 85 psi. If it were only a few pounds or they were steel rims, I might not be so concerned. According to the Goodyear rep I talked to, that if they were to mount these on my rims they would only put 85 psi in the tires, and I would be left with the dilemma of either running the tires underinflated (not good) or putting additional pressure myself and running the risk of rim failure. So what is the answer - buy new rims also????

danemayer

JanAndBill,

Running the Goodyears at 85 might be ok depending on your weight - air pressure is supposed to be set to the weight, and no more than the max cold setting stamped on the sidewall. G614 is rated at 3170 pounds when inflated to 85psi.

The risk of running with wheels that aren't matched is that one day someone who doesn't know they're mismatched might inflate to 110psi. Could be very bad.

JanAndBill

JanAndBill,

Running the Goodyears at 85 might be ok depending on your weight - air pressure is supposed to be set to the weight, and no more than the max cold setting stamped on the sidewall. G614 is rated at 3170 pounds when inflated to 85psi.

The risk of running with wheels that aren't matched is that one day someone who doesn't know they're mismatched might inflate to 110psi. Could be very bad.

3170# per tire would be slightly under what I need which I'm afraid will result in heat buildup. A catastrophic rim failure caused by inflating in excess of the manufacturer's rating could be very bad indeed. After reading many of the posts here, I'm afraid there are many who have done it and just haven't had a problem yet. Any suggestions on suppliers for rims?

danemayer

After checking, a lot of people have found the wheels their Towmax are mounted on are rated for 110psi. Worth checking. There've been a number of threads discussing this and if I remember correctly, you have to look on the inboard side of the wheel.

JanAndBill

After checking, a lot of people have found the wheels their Towmax are mounted on are rated for 110psi. Worth checking. There've been a number of threads discussing this and if I remember correctly, you have to look on the inboard side of the wheel.

Haven't found it on the outside yet. Going to get a flashlight and crawl under the trailer again, to look really close. It would be my luck that it's stamped on the inside! Do you think Heartland might be able to tell me if I called them with the VIN?

wdk450

Any suggestions on suppliers for rims?

I was looking up replacements for a cracked spoke on my Bighorn with 7K axles and came up with the part number of Sendel TO2-66867T as what was factory installed (7 spoke, aluminum, 8 bolt, 3750 lbs load, 110 psi) . I am now in the process of getting a warranty replacement from Tredit Tire, due to some helpful info sent to me on this forum. The prices I saw an the internet for this rim were in the $115 range (free shipping). You may be able to get steel rims for much less at the online trailer tire sites.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Haven't found it on the outside yet. Going to get a flashlight and crawl under the trailer again, to look really close. It would be my luck that it's stamped on the inside! Do you think Heartland might be able to tell me if I called them with the VIN?

If you contact Tredit, with a picture of the rim and any codes stamped on the back, they can tell you. Heartland just directed me to call Tredit.

Our rims were 80psi max:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373496928.203542.jpg
Rim is stamped MAX LOAD 3580LBS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would not put a G rated tire on an E rated rim. If you inflate the G rated tire to 110 psi like it says you can on the sidewall on an E rated rim you run the risk of the tire bead popping off the rim causing instantaneous deflation an/or serious injury to any one around the rim. I had G rated aluminum rims on our rig and ran G614s at 110 psi until upgrading to H rated rims with G114's. H rated is 120 psi. Rims should match the tires.