Goodyear Marathons on my 2013 Bighorn 3670RL

Having read all the stuff on Tow Max, I asked for an upgrade when we picked up our Bighorn in July of 2013. My dealer upgraded me to Goodyear Marathons for about $400 more.

We have pulled the fifth wheel about 15,000 miles in the last 21 months. I lost one of the tires, probably to road debris, in Arkansas last October and replaced with the same tire. ST235/80R16 E rated Goodyear Marathon. On the way back from Florida last month, I lost 2 more of the original 4 Goodyears on two successive days, one on each side of the RV. The Goodyear Marathons were no longer available as an E rated tire (they show a D rating now), so I bought ST235/80R16 E rated Carlisles. When I lost the second one the next day, I replaced the remaining original Goodyear with a Carlisle, and put the newest Goodyear (from Arkansas) on the spare; I now have 4 new Carlisles on the ground. My thoughts were that A) Goodyear may have had a bad batch on my original 4 and/or B) That they had to downgrade the tire from E to D due to some design issue.

In 4+ years of towing 5th wheels, I have now lost 5 tires, complete with insurance claims for the damage each one caused to the RV. I tried a wireless TPMS system, but it worked so intermittently and had false alarms so often that we never put it on the new RV. I check my tire pressure at least every other day on the road, and always at the beginning of a trip. BTW, I always check manufacturing dates and won't put a tire older than 6 months on the RV.

A friend of mine has a 2014 Bighorn 3855FB (2 feet longer) and his tires are G rated 235/85R16's. He runs 100 psi instead of 80, and hasn't had a problem with his tires yet. Any down side to going to the higher aspect ratio tire on my 3670? Any up side? What do you guys think? I would rather upgrade all 4 tires than have another blowout.

Mike

caissiel

I am saying it again, ST tires are junk. They do not have enough rubber on the thread for hazard protection and the reinforcing is to lite.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is interesting, my 2011 Bighorn 3670RL came standard from the factory with G-rated Sailun S637's on 110psi rims.

I ended up putting about 15K on them with no problems, before switching to Goodyear G614's. Trace

Last edited:

Avery

Mike go with the GoodYear G614 235 85 R G which are 14 ply psi of 110 also made in the USA... they are like a
Tactor trailertire they are regoveable...:cool:

jolar3329

What is the GVW of your trailer. My 2009 3670RL is 16,000 lbs. It came with G rated tires. You should go with Goodyear G614.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm saying, they used to put G-rated tires on the BH3670, then went to E-rated BlowMax tires. Mine came with G-rated tires and will never see anything less.

Garypowell

I realize most are saying the tires that blew were junk and frankly I don't know. But you need to realize when one tire blows it puts the others under stress. Mainly the one on the same side.....all of a sudden it is required to carry twice the load.

Before re I switched to G614's my blow outs seemed to come in pairs. Now no problems in 10,000 miles or so.

caissiel

My Chinese load Range G FreeStars are 7 years old and doing well after 60k miles. I did notice a thread area cut that made me keep it for spare. It is a road hazard cut that just did damage to the rubber and the heavy radial wire did not cut.
That's what proper LT tires are about.

B

BouseBill

We have been RVing since 1999 when we we purchased our first 31' fifth wheel. Full-timers from 1999 till 2006 and now back to full-timers since 2010. In that amount of time we have NEVER had a blow-out on a RV tire(knock on wood). We did have a total tread separation on a Blow-Max tire but it still held air.
I think, and it's my opinion that most trailer pullers drive way to fast and exceed the speed ratings on their tires which causes the blow outs. I can't believe the number of weekend warriors out there pulling 40' toyhaulers that go zooming passed us on the freeway, just because the speed limit it posted at 70 or 75 does not mean you have to drive that fast LOL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My Chinese load Range G FreeStars are 7 years old and doing well after 60k miles. I did notice a thread area cut that made me keep it for spare. It is a road hazard cut that just did damage to the rubber and the heavy radial wire did not cut.
That's what proper LT tires are about.

We have the same tires and they're the same age. Mold code: 5207. Still look like new.