gray 1 tank over flow ??

Bobby A

We just got back from a 1200 mile trip from Fl. and we forgot to open the shower/ bathroom sink holding tank valve # 1 and it over flowed and backed up into the shower as I as showering last night. The wife ran out to pull the valve open for me she noticed water on the ground. Is there some kind of over flow or do you think the tank got so full that it came out the top where the plumbing line comes into the holding tank ?? Do you think this is something to worry about ?? Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bobby A

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just got back from a 1200 mile trip from Fl. and we forgot to open the shower/ bathroom sink holding tank valve # 1 and it over flowed and backed up into the shower as I as showering last night. The wife ran out to pull the valve open for me she noticed water on the ground. Is there some kind of over flow or do you think the tank got so full that it came out the top where the plumbing line comes into the holding tank ?? Do you think this is something to worry about ?? Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bobby A

My question would be are you sure the valve was completely closed prior to opening it?

happykraut

My question would be are you sure the valve was completely closed prior to opening it?
I'm thinking if the valve was not fully closed then the water would have slowly drained the tank into the sewer and would not have overflown when he showered. Check your underbelly and see if it is bulging down indicating that it might be full of water.

Garypowell

I think if the valve was partially opened there would have been a lot of water on the ground and or the water would have not backed up.

I would open the basement up and look behind the wall to see if once the water rose up the pipe to the floor of the shower if there is not a leak in the pipe or a connection. Maybe even a poorly sealed drain connection.

A lot will depend just how much water was on the ground.

Bobby A

Thanks for the quick replies guys,

Yes, the valve was completely closed.
Not a whole lot of water on the ground, not even a puddle of water, it was about a foot round and could see the ground was wet.
Yes, there is a bulge in the under belly, I will open up a corner of the underbelly and see how much water comes out.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Bobby

Bobby A

UPDATE

After further investigation, I removed a corner of the under belly and discovered that because of all the weight of the water the tank flexed so much downward that it unattached the drain pipe going into the holding tank. I went to H/Depot and got some plumbers GOOP and speared it all over the pipe and holding tank hole and with a little help from a friend/neighbor he pushed on the pipe to get it to seal in all the way on the holding tank while I tightened the hose clamp. It is a real tight fit to get the pipe attached to the holding tank and my friend has the oomph to push it in all the way. Hopefully this will be a done deal. I will let it set the rest of the day and then give it a try tonight before buttening up the underbelly. Lesson learned !!! DO NOT let your holding tanks fill up 100% just for cautionary purposes. I'm glad it wasn't the black holding tank !!! LOL I will post back if more problems.

Last edited:

CeeCee99

I had same issue. My shower trap came loose and shower leaked. It coincided with--was not caused by---gray being full. Wonder if weight of full gray tank pulled the shower pipe loose.

Last edited: