Grey Tank #2 valve stuck

Does anyone have any insight into a dump valve that has opened and will not close. I opened the Grey #2 valve to dump the tank and it will not close. What am I up against trying to find the valve. Do I go through the basement or underbelly?

Hockster

danemayer

I assume you mean the handle in the UDC was pulled out and won't push back in.

If you're in a cold location and left it open, it may just be frozen. If that's the case, run the furnace for a while on a warmer day to see if it thaws.

If you need to find the gate valve, I think Gray #2 is usually the kitchen. If you look at the pipes joining the sewer outlet you'll probably find that the 1 1/2" pipe going to the rear leads to the Gray #2 tank, and its gate valve. You'll have to wrestle with the underbelly to actually find the valve, probably back near the axles.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a photo of a BC under construction at the plant last June (not sure which floorplan). At the rear, you can see the white fresh water tank and then the black galley tank in front of it. The two at the front of the frame are the black tank (upper) and Gray #1 (lavatory) under it. Find the drain from the kitchen sink and it should point you in the right direction.

View attachment 17423

Just another one of my myriad of "gabby" photos.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just my 2 cents. When we had our underbelly down, we noted the valves are all fairly close together. My kitchen grey is farthest away, behind the rear axles. But the valve is actually just above where that line comes out of the belly and down to meet the large dump pipe. All the valves are located between two of the cross beams, so I made sure underbelly heating was pointed there.

i also noted the cables themselves are very long... Not sure why, but wasn't going to mess with something that worked. I made sure to add some zip ties so they didn't sag or hang on other wiring.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone.
The picture helped, and also jogged my memory. I also had taken photos on the factory tour of my floor plan under construction.
Temp is not the problem, because I'm in Gulf Shores, AL. It was 70 degrees when I dumped the tank.
We expect some rain the next couple of days, then I will start to work finding out what is wrong.
I'm thankful it is the Kitchen Grey water Tank, and the valve is stuck open. It pulled open fine, but once the tank was empty, it would not close.
I purchased a new 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch valves to have ready to install if needed.

Hockster

jdfishing

If you feel very little resistance when you push the handle in, there's a good chance the outer shield on the cable came loose from its crimping on the rear of the handle. This happened to me. Cut a hole in the underbelly directly under where the handles go through the frame and watch what happens when you push the handle in. If the entire cable moves, you can make a temporary fix with some electrical tape wraped tightly around the cable where it meets the rear of the handle. A more permanent fix is available in this forum.

Yes, I do feel resistance when I try to push the handle closed.
I don't believe there is anything caught in the valve. I believe you are right, and it's in the cable.
When I get to feeling better, I think I will start behind the UDC first and see what's up, before I start to remove the underbelly cover.

Thank You

Hockster

==============================================================================================================================

Replaced the valve yesterday.
When I had it out in my hand, just the valve without the cable, I could not close it.
There did not appear to be anything wrong with it.
After working it forcefully quite a few times, what ever was wrong broke free.
I soaked it for an hour in hot soapy water in the kitchen sink, while I installed the new valve.
When I was done with the installation, I took the old valve out of the water, dried it off, lubed it with silicone put the rest of the cable housing back on and it works fine.
I put it in the tool box for a spare.
I have no idea what the problem was, or if I should even use it in the future.
Right now, it works fine.

Hockster

PeternLiane

Every time I read something about the UDC, I'm kind of glad that our NT is more old school in that department.