Grey Tank Leaking Cyclone 3800 - Need Help ASAP

lucey

This last trip the rear grey on our Cyclone 3800 started leaking. Its leaking into the belly. I removed the shroud and looked at the top of the tank. There is a connection that the sink makes at the top of the tank with the yellow glue. It almost seems like the tank has cracked all the way around the female tank fitting. I can push down on the top of the tank and stick my finger through it. Can someone tell me if the tank is broken or is there some other way this fitting works ? It almost seems like the fitting was just siliconed in which i doubt.

The trailer has had nothing but issues since last year. My Keystone Raptor never had a single issue like this. It will be interesting to see if Heartland will do anything. They have been good about warranty so far but im now a couple weeks out of warranty. The belly of this trailer has been opened up more than 5 times since new. Not what i was expecting with the Heartland name. I kinda thought they were a step above. I am impressed with the reps and the company, they are always helpful and willing to share knowledge which is a bonus.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

2afzpf7.jpg

danemayer

On Monday, I would call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They'll want to see this picture.

lucey

Well i ended up taking the island cupboard apart from the top. Cut the plumbing out of it. Then i had to cut the floor a little bigger to get at the top of the tank. I realized it is a thread fitting (standard abs) that had broken off. I ended up cutting into the threaded fitting until i could pry it out. Voila fitting is out and no damage to the threads. Off to get some real fittings !

iz9vzo.jpg

2cghu0i.jpg

2ic8w95.jpg

scottyb

Looks to me like the threads on the MIP adapter snapped off in the FIP connection. That's a pretty common place for PVC to break. Is the FIP connection steel? If it is you might consider coming out of it with a brass nipple and adapting back to PVC with a compression coupling. It would give it more strength and some flexibility for vibration.

lucey

I just used a sched 40 fitting instead of the junk one they used. I made sure there was no tension on it when i re-glued the fittings. I made it all accessible for the future if need be. If it happens again ill find a metal fitting or machine one. Just need to do the spray foam once i have the shroud all back up.

I made some mods to the under belly and water vents as well. I also put nutserts instead of using the self tapping junk for the shroud. Will be way better and easier to remove in the future. Hopefully that will be the end of it LOL. Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhhtttt

qyae83.jpg

207kw39.jpg

lucey

So after fixing the rear grey tank I went on a two week trip and discovered the front grey tank was leaking. When I returned home I got to work and found the fittings on the front tank (two of them) were also broken. I called Heartland and they said they never heard of it happening ? Hard to believe but nonetheless I fixed the fittings.

I decided to use a rubber coupler and brace the plumbing because they have the plumbing resting on the top tank fittings. They support all the weight above which is ridiculous ! They cannot support all that weight and allow the tanks to fill. The tanks when full move at the top twisting the plumbing. This is why the fittings break. If you don't fix the plumbing I suggest only running the tanks half full or you will be going through this as well. When I water tested the fix I could not believe how much the fittings move. The rubber couplers allow the movement and prevent basement water leakage. Here are a couple pictures:

2qibepx.jpg

kcxaom.jpg

2eppu14.jpg