Hail on the roof - how do you tell it’s damaged?

GK2018

We're in roughly the same boat as y'all are Erica, I don't think our RV roof sustained any damage I looked up there twice but the vehicles did and I probably won't file a claim for them. Along the same lines of this topic I was reading about a company in California that does a Rhino Liner roof and they were saying insurance would cover that cost and that it had a lifetime warranty. I know you can virtually pick any color roof you want, so going back white isn't an issue. Would something like that possibly void a warranty or would a warranty really even matter cause rhino lining is nearly impervious to everything. What is everyone's thoughts on something like that?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GK2018

Not trying to hijack your thread by the way! It's just a thought I've been wondering about for awhile now since hail damage is common where we live.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not trying to hijack your thread by the way! It's just a thought I've been wondering about for awhile now since hail damage is common where we live.

No worries! Since it looks like you’re in Lawton, Oklahoma I would seriously consider the Flex Armor roof we are looking at, there’s an installer in Denton, TX. https://rvroof.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GK2018

No worries! Since it looks like you’re in Lawton, Oklahoma I would seriously consider the Flex Armor roof we are looking at, there’s an installer in Denton, TX. https://rvroof.com

I'll look into that for sure, something else besides these rubber roofs has been on my mind since our very first camper. I always see 3 points of failure and that's the roof, the skylights and the caulk on all the seams. I've even went as far as thinking about rhino lining the entire camper but heck I guess that's what insurance is for right haha!

GK2018

After reading about that, I think it's something I'd be interested in looking at more in detail! Keep me/us posted on any other research you come across or if you have it done and I'll do the same. I'm really thinking this is fixing to be a project I undergo within the next couple months, that dogon hail is just unforgiving! I also noticed they had a post on their website about creases in the rubber roof which I noticed today I have in mine, I wasn't sure whether it was a big deal or not but just made me want a different roof all that much more. I appreciate that link for sure!!

TravelTiger

After reading about that, I think it's something I'd be interested in looking at more in detail! Keep me/us posted on any other research you come across or if you have it done and I'll do the same. I'm really thinking this is fixing to be a project I undergo within the next couple months, that dogon hail is just unforgiving! I also noticed they had a post on their website about creases in the rubber roof which I noticed today I have in mine, I wasn't sure whether it was a big deal or not but just made me want a different roof all that much more. I appreciate that link for sure!!

I’ve been email corresponding with the owner and I am very impressed.

Do not let this FlexArmor be confused with RV Armor, it’s not the same thing.

GK2018

I’ve been email corresponding with the owner and I am very impressed.

Do not let this FlexArmor be confused with RV Armor, it’s not the same thing.

Thats a good point! I just read an article about the difference between the two places and apparently you don't want to get the two mixed up! I also found an article on

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/flexarmor-spray-on-roof-installation-and-review/

about it and I'm thinking it might be what I have done. I'm going to call my insurance company tomorrow and see if we have hail damage or those creases matter and if not I may just pay out of pocket.

I sure hope y'all get yours taken care of too and those storms stay away! Seems like the whole midwest to south moving east got hit hard. Where we are here it looked like 3" of snow in the amount of hail left on the ground!

TravelTiger

Follow-up on the possibility of hail damage.

I made a claim online with Progressive, and within 24 hours they called me. They aren’t doing in-person adjuster visits due to COVID-19, so they asked me to take a detailed video and photos.

Here’s a few.

46e58575c4896aafc86fafff01dc5152.jpg

10ae5d0be53101ce2d211ed19c975eeb.jpg

4d9b209ea0b1fee2ae528dedf85013aa.jpg

dacfa79272b6c9b6190f681f3f936bdf.jpg

24 hours later I received notification that they would indeed replace the roof, and sent an estimate, which seems a bit low, but they said it can be adjusted once the rig is in the shop.

We have decided to go with a sprayed roof by DFWRVRoofing, which uses the FlexArmor product. They remove all of your vents, antenna, ACs and other rooftop items, and offer a lifetime guarantee. It should take 3 days.

We hope to take it to get it done in early June.

donr827

Progressive was very quick to respond to my only claim which was when a tree jumped out next to the tree and took my awning off.:cool: Approved the claim without looking at the damage.

carl.swoyer

Here’s some pics of the hail we got Tuesday night. My small SUV was partially protected with some light tree coverage, and received some pretty big dings from the hail. I checked the rv roof (no protection) and found sporadic “dents” in the membrane, but no damage to vents or shrouds. The curved edge of the roof also has some dings.

For those of you who have experienced hail damage on an rv roof, what is your opinion? Trying to decide whether this should be a claim.

6547563259dc0f96920743e82e76d19c.jpg

19614b7fe54ea46ae3d8367ade952674.jpg

31299d201177729786372ad7edaaf577.jpg

e8cd20fc0f01e8ae34d8763fb9aa18e0.jpg

9a4f32e4559177685d9d86f43461f67c.jpg

401981d098165a13a6443ae2e18145d4.jpg

822bb0cab930c332071b30d175f8a296.jpg

77c8e62d5a7376c16078ded41f1683a1.jpg

44cb2078ae6d723e43bf0a2d38105436.jpg

"Hail" to the new roof!
"Hail" to the new paint!
"Hail" that's great. Lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
now does Flexarmor treat the slide outs the same way? then I suppose another 170 a foot times the length of the slide would be added to the coast

TravelTiger

now does Flexarmor treat the slide outs the same way? then I suppose another 170 a foot times the length of the slide would be added to the coast

I don’t know if they do slides. The product is as thick as 3 quarters stacked, so it could affect the slide operation.

In our case, the slides were in on our rig, as we anticipated the storm coming.

Our plan is to use a roll-on product ourselves for the slide roofs, to seal and protect them for the future.

carl.swoyer

We have fulltimers coverage a have a “disappearing deductible.” We have been with Progressive for 10 years. ;)

We have progressive as well.
We also have our fifth wheel insured for a declared value to include the Onan generator. So if I have a total loss they pay me $ 74,000.
Only a few dollars more per month.

danemayer

We have progressive as well.
We also have our fifth wheel insured for a declared value to include the Onan generator. So if I have a total loss they pay me $ 74,000.
Only a few dollars more per month.

He Carl,

I get that you've declared a value of $74,000. But I'm wondering if your actual policy shows ACTUAL CASH VALUE or if it shows $74,000.

carl.swoyer

He Carl,

I get that you've declared a value of $74,000. But I'm wondering if your actual policy shows ACTUAL CASH VALUE or if it shows $74,000.
Dane my policy has a declared value ,
69,000 for the fifth wheel
3000 for the Onan generator.
My wife corrected me.
Should I have a complete loss my payouts are going to be those two figures.
As with my 07 Cedar Creek,
I paid 54,000.00 dollars new.
4 1/2 years later the chassis failed bent, twisted and cracked.
Progressive handed me a check for $54,000 and $1200.00 for repairs to allow me to transport it to Tampa FL from Key West.
The older policy was for replacement cost for the first five years. My 07 loss was at 4.5 years, got lucky.
My Landmark is insured for the declared value and no five year window.
Hopefully this will answer your question

danemayer

Dane my policy has a declared value ,
69,000 for the fifth wheel
3000 for the Onan generator.
My wife corrected me.
Should I have a complete loss my payouts are going to be those two figures.
As with my 07 Cedar Creek,
I paid 54,000.00 dollars new.
4 1/2 years later the chassis failed bent, twisted and cracked.
Progressive handed me a check for $54,000 and $1200.00 for repairs to allow me to transport it to Tampa FL from Key West.
The older policy was for replacement cost for the first five years. My 07 loss was at 4.5 years, got lucky.
My Landmark is insured for the declared value and no five year window.
Hopefully this will answer your question

The reason I asked is that after reading your post, I went to their website to get a quote. The form allowed me to declare a value higher than the standard valuation, but clearly also said "Actual Cash Value". Not having a copy of the actual policy document, it's not obvious to me that they would pay more than what they believe the "Actual Cash Value" to be, regardless of what I declare. I've had a discussion about this with Travelers, and while I declared a value higher than their estimate, based on options that I have, if there's a loss, I expect we'll have a negotiation over what value to use for "Actual Cash Value".

I understand that some companies offer "Full Replacement Cost" in various flavors, but usually not for any rig over 5 years old. So I can understand your getting $54,000 on the 4.5 year old trailer.

I was hoping there might be something out of the ordinary that was being offered by Progressive, but it doesn't seem so. If your policy language is "Actual Cash Value", I'd guess you might have a hard time demonstrating an "Actual Cash Value" that matches your declared value.

carl.swoyer

The reason I asked is that after reading your post, I went to their website to get a quote. The form allowed me to declare a value higher than the standard valuation, but clearly also said "Actual Cash Value". Not having a copy of the actual policy document, it's not obvious to me that they would pay more than what they believe the "Actual Cash Value" to be, regardless of what I declare. I've had a discussion about this with Travelers, and while I declared a value higher than their estimate, based on options that I have, if there's a loss, I expect we'll have a negotiation over what value to use for "Actual Cash Value".

I understand that some companies offer "Full Replacement Cost" in various flavors, but usually not for any rig over 5 years old. So I can understand your getting $54,000 on the 4.5 year old trailer.

I was hoping there might be something out of the ordinary that was being offered by Progressive, but it doesn't seem so. If your policy language is "Actual Cash Value", I'd guess you might have a hard time demonstrating an "Actual Cash Value" that matches your declared value.
Dane I had to use my purchase and sale contact for the original purchase for both the Landmark Rushmore and the Onan.
I purchased the Onan generator separate from the fifth wheel.
That might work for you.