Halogen light bulbs keep burning out

Gizzy

We have already replaced 5 different halogen bulbs in the ceiling lights since we got our BH3070 last Aug. I just chocked that up to whoever installed them initially did not wear gloves or use something so they would not touch the bulbs with their skin.
However, when I went out to the coach today and turned on the bedroom light switch, 3 of the 4 ceiling lights burned out at the same time. Could this just be a coincidence or might something cause this? Any ideas? I have looked into getting the replacement LED bulbs, however it is a very costly changeover(14 lights). Has anyone changed from halogen to LED? I'm open for suggestions. These little halogen bulbs are not cheap.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a similar problem with the lites. However I was messing with one tha thad gone out and it came back on. Also, as in a thread, the ones on one side are bright and the ones over the chairs are dark yellow.

I am thinking it is the fixtures and I am going to see if I can replace them. Not sure if I can get replacements or just find something different. I will be trying to check out the wiring once I figure how to get them out. Got some good directions in another thread.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didn't know that HL was putting halogen bulbs in the ceiling fixtures. Must be something new since all of ours are 1141 incandescent bulbs. Our first season, I had to replace six of those with 1141L's (some with 1156 due to availability). So far, they've been behaving themselves. I did put a 9-LED replacement over the stove and an LED bulb in my motion sensor porch light, though.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
John
I think all the recessed lights in the slide outs are the halogen bulbs. Little two prong plug-in bulbs that cost about $3 each. I think HL put these lights in almost all the slides.

BC

JohnDar

Bob,
I know the three recessed lights over my sofa are halogen, but all the rest are 1141 incandescent bulbs. I've considered going to LED's to replace them, but haven't gotten off the dime yet.

jbeletti

Bob,

Where do you find those bulbs for $3? I found them at Lowes for about $6. Are we talking about the same bulbs?

The bulbs I bought the other day at a hardware store are G4 bi-pin 12 volt dc 20 watt.

Jim

jpdoggett

Bob,

Where do you find those bulbs for $3? I found them at Lowes for about $6. Are we talking about the same bulbs?

The bulbs I bought the other day at a hardware store are G4 bi-pin 12 volt dc 20 watt.

Jim
Your right I had to buy some for my 2011 Augusta and they are like $6.00 each I have four over the stove area

HessRaP

We have already replaced 5 different halogen bulbs in the ceiling lights since we got our BH3070 last Aug. I just chocked that up to whoever installed them initially did not wear gloves or use something so they would not touch the bulbs with their skin.
However, when I went out to the coach today and turned on the bedroom light switch, 3 of the 4 ceiling lights burned out at the same time. Could this just be a coincidence or might something cause this? Any ideas? I have looked into getting the replacement LED bulbs, however it is a very costly changeover(14 lights). Has anyone changed from halogen to LED? I'm open for suggestions. These little halogen bulbs are not cheap.

Just a thought, but halogen bulbs I've purchased over the years for my stick house were quite warm (hot!). Could this be an issue?
Ray

Last edited:

JohnDar

Just a thought, but halogen bulbs I've purchased over the years for my stick house were quite warm (hot!). Could this be an issue?
Ray

I think by nature they run warm. I've got three 120V G8's in a china cabinet I built several years ago. They run hot, but last a couple of years or more. And the wife likes to have them on.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob,

Jim

Well I guess I found out part of my problem. I bought most of mine from RV Dealers. Camping World is one of the places I have purchased them. Come to find out they are 10watt not 20 watt.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/jc-10-clear-bulb/34480

The bulbs do not have the wattage or number labeled on them so I assumed that they were all the same. You know what Assuming does? Guess I just makes out to be a large donkey.

BC

danemayer

There are 10w and 20w bulbs for sale. I assume if you put a 10watt in to replace a 20watt bulb, your light will not be as bright.

Gizzy

i too have that problem. i found these and ordered 24 of them. very fast in shipping them. had them in 3 or 4 days. identical bulbs that i was paying over $3 for.
http://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Type-Light-Bulb-Base/dp/B002FX2URQ/ref=pd_luc_sbs_00_04_t_lh
Thanks for the info, I just finished ordering them. A great savings. When I recently went to change out some bulbs, I was surprised when I started to "unscrew the class cover, the light came back on. I guess it had just wiggled loose a bit. This happened on 2 of my fittings. Again, thanks for the info.

porthole

Retired
I have the 12volt halogen bulbs in our boat. They get hot!.
What I found that was leaving them on long enough was causing issues with the sockets caused by the heat. Sockets getting too hot and failing or just causing contact issues with the bulbs. And the bulbs fail due to the heat. My lights are 12 volt using 60 watt transformers (110)

I solved the problem by going to all 10 watt bulbs. We have 12 fixtures in the main salon of the boat and I saw no difference light output after one day of use. The 10 watt bulbs also eliminated having to replace transfomres on an alomst yearly basis (60 watts use with 60 watt unit versus 30 watts use with a 60 watt unit)

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I did the search thing re halogen lights and found this thread. When we first got our augusta (2011) one of the ceiling lights (In a light bar above the sink) burnt out. I replaced it. today 2 more burned out, I think I removed them wrong as I got some porcline on both of them and there is no place or way to plug the new bulbs in. I preume I broke the fixture. what is the correct way to remove these? They are 120 bulbs with 2 pins at the back.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The OP asked about LED's.
I bought a few to try in my halogen can lights. They burn cool and use less juice. Great for dry camping. They are great for lighting an area, but it is a different light. It's a much softer light that is good for say, background light in a bedroom or living area. As far as a good bright focused light for a kitchen work area, I think the halogens are better,so I have both.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the halogen lights in my slides. I would like to take one out and check it. As mentioned above it goes on and off when I touch it. I have a replacement fixture but I don't know how to remove them without damaging the slide celing.

The Tech where I purchased the lamp said it has a real strong spring and all I have to do is pull it down and press the spring back. Can't quite do this because I don't want to damage the ceiling.

Has anyone replace the fixture or repaired one?

If anyone @ Heartland is reading this thread can give an idea of how to remove the fixture it would be helpful.

BC

wdk450

Gang:
The halogen gas in the bulbs allows the filaments to be burned hotter and brighter than if the halogen gas was not there. In fact, the tungsten of all filaments "boils off" as the light is used, but in a halogen light this gaseous tungsten is redeposited on the lamp. We used a lot of these in the medical devices i serviced. One rule to make them last longer was to not run them for less than 1 minute. The 1 minute warm up is needed to get the tungsten redeposit cycle going.
Because these lamps burn so hot, they can cause corrosion and bad connections on their pins and the base they are plugged into. Some long-lasting electrical contact spray may help with this. Best bet for RV's is to change them out for something with less current draw, and that runs cooler (LED's).

jbeletti

I have the halogen lights in my slides. I would like to take one out and check it. As mentioned above it goes on and off when I touch it. I have a replacement fixture but I don't know how to remove them without damaging the slide celing. The Tech where I purchased the lamp said it has a real strong spring and all I have to do is pull it down and press the spring back. Can't quite do this because I don't want to damage the ceiling. Has anyone replace the fixture or repaired one? If anyone @ Heartland is reading this thread can give an idea of how to remove the fixture it would be helpful.BC
Hi Bob,Hope you, Pat and Trevor are well. I cannot say with certainty, that your lights are like mine, but mine can be pulled straight down a bit, then I get a finger in on the side of one spring and fold it in towards the light, the pivot it out the hole.