Happy veteran's day 2012

Sandpirate69

Thank you. Also wishing the same to everyone who's served their country past & present. Lets not forget MIA/POW's .

Ivan US Navy Master-at-Arms 2006-2008 Iraq Convoy Commander

Last edited:

wdk450

All who have served have given their lives - whether 2 years, 4 years, a career, or their physical lifetime. Although so many have made the ultimate sacrifice for the USA and freedom, others have stepped away from close family, friends. education and career development to give of some portion of their time on this earth. As we celebrate and remember this sacrifice, let us not forget some of the less remembered like the Coast Guard and the WWII Merchant Marine.

Many of us men served in a time when it was "serve or be involuntarily be called to serve". I am totally blown away by the love of country and selfless dedication shown by the All Volunteer Forces since the military draft ended. You men and women rock!!!

Last of all, I saw a piece on CBS Sunday morning this morning on the sounding of "Taps". I looked through the various lyrics used for this used through the years, and came upon this one stanza I really like:

Go to sleep,
peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor, God keep.
In the land or in the deep,
Safe in sleep.

olcoon

It's amazing the appreciation & support that is given to our military & veterans these days! As a Vietnam era Navy Veteran it is a breath of fresh air compared to how we were "appreciated" during my time of service. I've had ancestors & family members in all branches of the military since our Great Country began, & served in virtually every war since then. I was & still am very proud to have served. Thank you to everyone who posted their thoughts to this thread, and THANK YOU to all active duty military & veterans for your service!

Roy
USN 1968-1972
DC3

Bksvo

To all who served before me, when your nation did not appreciate you but none-the-less called you to serve, thank you and welcome home. You deserved better.

I've been blessed to serve at a time when I am thanked everywhere I go, and I am appreciative.

I remember arriving at my first squadron after pilot training, telling my wife I needed to deploy before the war was over...Little did I know we would be at war for my entire career.

God Bless,
Brian

Post Desert Storm ('93) - 421st Fighter Squadron
Operation Southern Watch ('97, '98) - 421st Fighter Squadron
Operation New Dawn ('11) - 362nd Expeditionary Recon Squadron
Operation Enduring Freedom ('11) - 4th Expeditionary Recon Squadron
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan '13...) - 4th Expeditionary Recon Squadron
Time to retire

jpdoggett

Thanks to all that has served and WELCOME HOME and Roy it is amazing the differents from then as to now. And I to am glad I served and would not change a thing

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Add my thanks to all that have posted. I served proudly and am proud of all of the volunteer military today. May you all return home safe.

USAF 1967 - 1972

DonnyB007

You sure appreciate the freedom we have to be able to visit the many great camping sites in North America and a HUGE tribute must go our our veterns that fought to give us our freedom. Hats off to all of them!!!