Have you ever been sent to the scales by law enforcement?

Have you ever been sent to the scales be law enforcement?

• Yes

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 141 98.6%

• Total voters

Duramax1

Check out British Colombia.....

CS

I live in British Columbia and am wondering what you mean by your comment.

Incidentally, I did, out of curiosity, taken my previous travel trailer to the Government DOT weigh scales and obtained a weight print out for free. In fact after going across the scale with the trailer, I would disconnect and go across the scales a second time just with the truck. To avoid being a nuisance to anyone, I chose to go across the scales when there was no lineup for commercial trucks and never felt hassled by the process.

DW_Gray

I had a conversation with a California Highway Patrol officer in the commercial division and he told me their are no laws for exceeding weight specifications. But you could get ticketed for not having the proper permit for the load you have. The officer also told me they would only stop an RV only if it appeared to be overloaded, otherwise they leave them alone unless another law is being broken.

BarneyFife

I started a very similar thread in another RV forum site. My concern was over our former truck, an F350 SRW, pulling our 370C. Technically, we were well over the numbers on the door pillar.

I also spoke with an officer at NCDMV. He said unless its obvious a vehicle is dangerously overweight, they won't fool with RVers. I saw an F150 XL regular cab 2wheel drive truck pulling a large Raptor at Willow Tree one day. Now that guy needed to be checked.

If a toy hauler is full of decals like they are factory sponsored or a professional race team, they also may be checked.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The "fear" of looking like a transporter is why we had the following on our Kodiak C4500... "Private RV, Not for Hire". to my knowledge, in all 50 states, only commercial vehicles will be required to pull off onto the scales...

floridarandy

With no intent to hi-jack the thread, does anyone know if one can go through a dot scale to get the trailer weighed? If so, what would be the result of being heavier than the trailer sticker weight?

In Florida, the answer is YES. And they have no interest in comparing it to weight ratings...only if you're a commercial hauler.

Bighurt

to my knowledge, in all 50 states, only commercial vehicles will be required to pull off onto the scales...

Not entirely true best to check your state. Remember state highway funding is augmented by tickets, now days it could be a matter of perception and when outside your home state your less likely to return for the court hearing. In SD the following trucks must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles with a GVW rating over 8,000 lbs.; (2) trucks over 8,000 lbs.; (3) drive-away operations in excess of 8,000 lbs. GVW rating.

Geodude

We've never faced this and I don't know anyone that has. Here in Ontario, MTO leaves the scales running all the time, so you can pull in and get all your weights any time.

I understand the Ontario Provincial Police do conduct enforcement on Highway 400 that runs north to cottage country from Toronto, and do roadside inspections of suspect vehicles, up to and including putting them on portable weigh scales where something doesn't look right to them.

Urban350

Maybe it is more common in Canada (in my case BC). I have been pulled over in BC and weighed. Mostly guys with either 2 quads or 2 sleds on a deck pulling a trailer. I have even seen law enforcement make some unload their truck or trailer. If you are over on any of your limits your insurance can be voided in an accident.

Last edited:

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We have chosen to get weighed in several states, and have never been questioned about our rig. We always pull over first and ask if we could get weighed, and they have always said yes.

With no intent to hi-jack the thread, does anyone know if one can go through a dot scale to get the trailer weighed? If so, what would be the result of being heavier than the trailer sticker weight?

Sandpirate69

The only time you can be sent to a scale or have DOT weigh you, is if you appear to weigh in or over 26K. That is federal law and all states must abide by it. I'm not saying some Law Enforcement won't mess with you, but that's the law. Any vehicle or combined vehicle at or over 26K is considered to be a Commercial Vehicle therefore, applying all rules as if a commercial vehicle.