"Heater" Rocker Switch on Tank Level Monitor Panel

dlw930

i'm not sure this is the proper sub-forum, but didn't see a more appropriate one listed. I have a rocker switch labeled "heater" on the lower right of the tank and battery level panel. I looked in my owner manual where a photo showed this switch but didn't say what it is for. There's a separate toggle switch below the panel for the electric water heat. My guess is the switch on the panel is for the tank heaters. Am I right?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No, that switch turns on the propane side of the water heater. You can use both 110V and propane at the same time for faster hot water recovery. Unless you ordered heating pads for your tanks...you probably dont have them. I'm not sure they were even an option for a 2011 BC.

dlw930

Thanks Bob! We bought our BC used from a non-Heartland dealer, so our orientation was less than complete. 14 months later, I'm still learning what things are.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, try calling HL with your VIN#. They might just send you a build sheet with all the options your BC came with. Use the "tools" tab at the top of the page and you can download manuals on how all the equipment works.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On using the water heater on propane, if the gas has been off for a time, light a stove burner for a minute or so to clear air from the lines (this also is good if starting the fridge on propane). Then flip the little switch to ON. It will try to light 3 times (you should be able to hear it click). If it can't, the little red LED next to the switch will light up. That means it's in LOCK OUT. Turn off the switch, wait 5 minutes, and try again. The wait is so that any gas in the burner tube can clear before more gets pumped in. Not waiting may give you a cannon shot and soiled shorts. You should be able to hear it when it lights. Sometimes getting the air out takes a bit.

TxCowboy

No, that switch turns on the propane side of the water heater. You can use both 110V and propane at the same time for faster hot water recovery. Unless you ordered heating pads for your tanks...you probably dont have them. I'm not sure they were even an option for a 2011 BC.

Thanks for posting this. I needed this answer as well.

If I can ask another couple of questions, I have the Suburban SW10DE water heater. This owner's manual isn't clear to me on a couple of points.

(1) In addition to the rocker switch for propane, I also have a switch next to the tank monitor panel marked "Electric W/H". Does this indicate that, in addition to propane, I have an electric anode that runs off shore power? (I can't imagine it would operate off battery only.) Therefore, with shore power, the rocker switch can stay off, the Electric W/H switch turned on and lights up, and the electrical anode heats the water, correct?

(2) One additional question, if I may. When draining and flushing the Hot Water Tank, you turn both the propane rocker switch AND the Electric W/H switch off, let the water cool, then pull the drain plug. To flush, just fill the tank and drain it a few times. How do you know when the hot water tank is full? When you get a steady stream of water through the hot water outlets in the sinks and shower?

Sorry for the noob questions!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
(1) In addition to the rocker switch for propane, I also have a switch next to the tank monitor panel marked "Electric W/H". Does this indicate that, in addition to propane, I have an electric anode that runs off shore power? (I can't imagine it would operate off battery only.) Therefore, with shore power, the rocker switch can stay off, the Electric W/H switch turned on and lights up, and the electrical anode heats the water, correct?

Yes.

(2) One additional question, if I may. When draining and flushing the Hot Water Tank, you turn both the propane rocker switch AND the Electric W/H switch off, let the water cool, then pull the drain plug. To flush, just fill the tank and drain it a few times. How do you know when the hot water tank is full? When you get a steady stream of water through the hot water outlets in the sinks and shower?

Before pulling the drain plug be sure to release any pressure in the tank either by opening a hot faucet or use the pressure relief valve on the water heater.
There is a inexpensive tool that can be used to flush the tank once it is drained. (Tool)
When I fill my tank I just leave a hot faucet open till water comes out. As you have described.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Thanks for posting, Dave, and posting that nice tool. I have one that somebody gave me but haven't used it yet.

Thanks again! :)

danemayer

Hi TXCowboy,

There's additional information you might find helpful in our Heartland User Guides, and Troubleshooting Guides. There's a Water Heater Usage Guide that may answer other questions that come up. The troubleshooting guide can help with common problems and minor repairs. In addition to getting there by way of the embedded links, you can also go to the TOOLS button at top of page and select Heartland Owner Manuals or Heartland User Guides.

TxCowboy

Dan, thanks for posting. I've been looking through the User Guides and factory info most of the afternoon so I guess I'm a little fried because I missed the Water Heater User Guide and that's exactly what I needed.

Thanks again.