Heating Pads for basement tanks

Wharton

Is there an option to have electric heating pads put in the belly of a BH under each tank so you don't need to run the furnace to keep them from freezing?

If not, how hard is it to drop the belly cover?

Thanks,

Sue

Peteandsharon

Hi Sue,

I don't know whether such heating pads exist but I don't think that would solve the problem. There are hoses running various places in that compartment that would freeze up before the tanks themselves. The heating pads wouldn't protect them. There was, however, a thread within the past couple of days talking about various ways to protect that underbelly area from freezing. You might want to do a search on that. As to dropping the belly cover, I think that would be a rather large task. I tried doing part of that when I was looking for a fresh water tank leak and I gave up the ghost on it. After removing a few of the screws I put it back together and brought it to the dealer to mess with.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The heating pads do exist however I believe they are an option for the BH and LM. They are not standard.

2010augusta

Tank Heater are an option for the BH I believe.

We have them on our Landmark.

And as stated by Peteandsharron the hoses running around in the basement will freeze well before anyhig in the tanks.

Here are several threads about cold weater freeze prevention.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13802

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6000

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13701

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13556

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13568

If you search the forum for HTneighbors modifacations, he has made thier Cyclon into a cold weather beast, but it took a good deal of work.

lwmcguir

We added 120V heat pads on a Yellowstone. Installed the thermostat with the sensor bulb at the side of the tank on the underbelly but inside the skin . Worked like a charm. They aren't hard to install once you pull the bottom cover off. The pads also had a built in over heat sensor to protect the element. They came with an adhesive strip that stuck and coulnit be moved.

Wharton

Thanks for the info abut the pads. I think we will get them. We really don't think the tanks are a big concern since ours have never had a problem, but it seems like a good option since we normally camp Sep-Feb in the mountains. Teen temps are very common.

Having had frozen pipes before we are aware of the problems. Actually what froze on us was the faucet and the water pump. Now my husband put a switch in and light bulbs(not CFL) under the sink and by the water pump. When it is cold out we turn them on overnight and it solves the problem. Looks like he will have to do this again and also put in cut off valves for each faucet and shower. When the faucet froze we had no water at all until he replaced the faucet. Needless to say, cut off valves went in very fast.

We don't use heat at night, seems like a waste of propane, we use electric blankets or extra covers. I am normally up first and hate having to turn on the furnace and then climb back into bed. I now have a switch next to me that turns the furnace on. We just set the thermostat, switch the furnace off with the switch, and I flip the switch in the morning, doze off for a few minutes and wake up to a warm trailer.

This will be another option we will add.

This forum is great. One of the reasons we are going with a BH. The support from the company for this forum and the responses one gets.

Thanks