Height from ground to bottom of Rear Hydraulic Jacks when retracted

RVFun4Us

When I had my disc brakes installed about two years ago, l also had them install 7 leaf springs. Before I had them installed, I was able to auto level the jacks without them hitting max extension without additional blocks. Now I have to put down blocks under the jacks so they don't reach max extension. Has anyone adjusted their jacks down a couple of holes to alleviate this max extension? If so, what is the ideal distance from ground to the bottom of the retracted jacks? And if I do move them down to the desirable distance, what is the suggested torque on those bolts that hold the jacks in place? Thanks in advance.

Kathi-27

per lippert 6 1/2 inchs min to ground when fully retracted and rv level and hooked up preferred 7-8 inch

NYSUPstater

Why not just make some blocks and toss 'em in back of truck, then place them under the jacks before lowering them? That's what we do. But we also have 2 6x6x 18" or 24" blocks in addition to 2-2x12x18" screwed together for a total of 8 blocks. This way we can place them under any legs that need them (usually the ones by tires). has worked out great for us.

If you want pics, let me knows everything is in shed currently, and RV should be home in approx 3 weeks, then I'll have things under the legs.

Gary521

Yes, I lowered my rear and side legs 2 holes as I had the same issue from the start. Now, before traveling, I make sure that the legs are fully retracted as they sometimes do not.

RVFun4Us

Why not just make some blocks and toss 'em in back of truck, then place them under the jacks before lowering them? That's what we do. But we also have 2 6x6x 18" or 24" blocks in addition to 2-2x12x18" screwed together for a total of 8 blocks. This way we can place them under any legs that need them (usually the ones by tires). has worked out great for us.

If you want pics, let me knows everything is in shed curreTh

RVFun4Us

In my opinion, part of the reason to have these auto leveling jacks is to simplify the whole leveling process, without having to place blocks under the jacks. That is what I am already doing and want to fix. Before having the 7 leaf springs installed, everything worked fine with just hitting auto level. No "out of stroke" message at all. But the new springs raised the height of the rig and that is why I asked the question about lowering the jacks.

david-steph2018

In my opinion, part of the reason to have these auto leveling jacks is to simplify the whole leveling process, without having to place blocks under the jacks. That is what I am already doing and want to fix. Before having the 7 leaf springs installed, everything worked fine with just hitting auto level. No "out of stroke" message at all. But the new springs raised the height of the rig and that is why I asked the question about lowering the jacks.
If I could raise the jacks, you should be able to lower the jacks on your rig. Just take care/mind of ground clearance issues. Also make sure you have enough length in the hoses, before you go too far into the job.
On our rig there were 6 mounting bolts and the top 2 were a chore getting to loosen/tighten.
On the 4 lower bolts I did use my electric impact wrench, top 2 I used a breaker bar and socket wrench.

When I had my disc brakes installed about two years ago, l also had them install 7 leaf springs. Before I had them installed, I was able to auto level the jacks without them hitting max extension without additional blocks. Now I have to put down blocks under the jacks so they don't reach max extension. Has anyone adjusted their jacks down a couple of holes to alleviate this max extension? If so, what is the ideal distance from ground to the bottom of the retracted jacks? And if I do move them down to the desirable distance, what is the suggested torque on those bolts that hold the jacks in place? Thanks in advance.
I had to lower our leveling jacks new from the factory due to running out of stroke. After much searching and not getting any solid answers I found on the Lippert site for after market installation of the leveling system a guide that showed running a line from the bottom of the rear tire to the very back of the frame and set the jack foot at or above this line. I also found that this is approximately equal to setting the foot on the rear legs at about the center of the axle. This worked for me.

RVFun4Us

Thank you everyone for your comments. One additional question on this topic: What is the length of the jacks from top to bottom before they hit the end of stroke error code? That might also be good to know in determining how far to drop the jacks.