Horrible running-over-a-metal chair sound normal?

I just had my new (to me) 2012 North Trail 27RBS delivered yesterday (my first RV and my new truck isn't broken in yet). When the guy was backing up in my driveway there was this horrible metallic screeching sound coming from the wheel / axle area that sounded like he had run over a metal chair or something. He said "they all do that". True? Should I be concerned?

JanAndBill

Trailers can make all kinds of popping, brake squeal, squeaking noises especially when they are in a bind. However, if it was as loud as you say I would definately check it out. Bearing failure, or an overly tight brake could also be at fault.

danemayer

Hi LeisureTime,

I think I remember seeing prior posts about scraping the stabilizers in the rear when backing into driveways that aren't level. Check for scrape marks.

Loud noises need to be investigated.

priorguy

Depending on the angle of your driveway it could be suspension binding or rear/front end dragging. If there was a friction sway bar connected and it was wet that would make a horrendous sound too. Lots of things that are normal can cause this. It's metal rubbing on metal or other hard surface. Usually.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Also another possibility for that "finger nails on chalk-board" sound could be the load distribution hitch. If the truck and the Trailer were at an increasing angel the stresses it places on the levelers and hitch can cause some high pitched grinding sounds. if it is repeatable when you pull it out and back it back in - you can attempt to isolate the cause before you take it out on the road. If you have load distribution hitch you can eliminate that as the cause by not installing the bars and the same goes for the sway bar.

If it is something at the wheels or axle, I would agree with others who have already said - get it checked out.

Kevin

PS: Congratulations on the New Rig..

Last edited:

priorguy

If your driveway is angled be careful removing the Weight Distributing bars as the tongue jack may drag on the ground. I had that problem at my old house. When my new house is finished the driveway is relatively flat and therefor trailer friendly. Narrow down when the sound is coming from, some WD setups require lubrication which will minimize the sound. Never lubricate a friction sway bar (like greasing your brakes) but it is recommended to remove them before backing up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This was on level ground and no sway bars were in use. I just peeked underneath the trailer and everything looks normal. On the other hand, I don't know what normal looks like. I will have the dealer check it out when I bring it in. It was dark at the time, but it really did sound exactly like he was backing over a heavy metal chair. Scary "this can't be right" sounds.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Both the hitch ball and the anti-sway bar can groan and squeal when they move. If you have an anti-sway bar, it should be loosened before backing the rig up.