How and Should I fix/upgrade my TT brakes?

So it's been over a month I think, as my mechanic tries to get new drums for my 2017 Heartland Pioneer 280RK with 4400 pound axles. I thought he was ordering from Dexter, but I later found he was ordering after market to save me money. He then tried Dexter, but they don't have any and are unable to say when they will. He finally got two of the four needed hubs.

Two questions...

First, I purchase plenty of stuff made in China, but I have also recognized for certain that there's typically a dramatically lower quality. So if I proceed with after market hubs, are they made in China and do I want to have those at all? I figure they're soft metal. I guess the brakes will be just as safe, but the hubs will likely wear out much faster than harder metal. Am I mistaken or being too critical?

Second, it seems these 4400 pound axles are rare. eTrailer and probably others have 5200 pound Dexter brand US-made axles in stock. Either this time around, or perhaps next time around, should I change to 5200 pound axles? My trailer isn't at my place right now, so I can't double check the wheel bolt pattern, but it's likely that new axles would require new wheels and a tire remounting or new tires. That's why I wonder about next time around. Either way, I think a pair of axles that are slightly heavier themselves shouldn't be a problem. And they'll certainly be able to hold the trailer weight. Meanwhile, I think the springs are fine and I believe I should NOT change to corresponding springs for the 5200 pound axles. I assume they would be stiffer and do nothing but shake my trailer contents even more than they shake now.

Your thoughts and expertise...?

Thanks!

wdk450

As someone who had the bearing collar molded into one of my drums crack/fail and leave me stranded at a freeway offramp in Idaho in 2013, this report is alarming. I was able to get a a roadside servicer locate the drum for my 7000 lb Dexter axle, come out and install it, and get me going again in about 6 hours. The TPMS alarm saved me as I had no idea this was happening 30+ feet behind my truck cab, the tire was rubbing the frame and the smell of burnt rubber was strong as soon as I got out of the truck cab. It might behoove those who make long distance trips to search online to see if their drums are now available, and if scarce maybe even buy 1 as a spare part to carry.
As to the quality of Chinese steel and fundamental vehicle parts, I look to the immense technological progress that the Chinese military has made over the past decade with domestically produced land vehicles, aircraft, large naval vessels, and the like. Corrupt manufacturers who sold shoddy stuff or bribed inspectors got a bullet in the head after a cursory trial.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
So it's been over a month I think, as my mechanic tries to get new drums for my 2017 Heartland Pioneer 280RK with 4400 pound axles. I thought he was ordering from Dexter, but I later found he was ordering after market to save me money. He then tried Dexter, but they don't have any and are unable to say when they will. He finally got two of the four needed hubs.

Two questions...

First, I purchase plenty of stuff made in China, but I have also recognized for certain that there's typically a dramatically lower quality. So if I proceed with after market hubs, are they made in China and do I want to have those at all? I figure they're soft metal. I guess the brakes will be just as safe, but the hubs will likely wear out much faster than harder metal. Am I mistaken or being too critical?

Second, it seems these 4400 pound axles are rare. eTrailer and probably others have 5200 pound Dexter brand US-made axles in stock. Either this time around, or perhaps next time around, should I change to 5200 pound axles? My trailer isn't at my place right now, so I can't double check the wheel bolt pattern, but it's likely that new axles would require new wheels and a tire remounting or new tires. That's why I wonder about next time around. Either way, I think a pair of axles that are slightly heavier themselves shouldn't be a problem. And they'll certainly be able to hold the trailer weight. Meanwhile, I think the springs are fine and I believe I should NOT change to corresponding springs for the 5200 pound axles. I assume they would be stiffer and do nothing but shake my trailer contents even more than they shake now.

Your thoughts and expertise...?

Thanks!
Have you tried shopping local? Last bearing issue I had ruined the spindle so we put new axles in. We had them made at a local shop. I didnt have to concern myself with drums as I converted to disk brakes, but they had a whole pile of them. That was in Colorado.