How big should our new RV be!?

pfedso

My wife and I are in the market for an RV but arguing over size.

I've always had camper-sized vans or trucks like the Land Cruiser, so not really used to big vehicles. My wife thinks bigger the better seeing as how much we'll be "living" in it.

What's the best compromise? Should we go BIG!?

rhodies1

Are you looking at a towable/ 5 th wheel. If so. It all depends on your tow vehicle. If you do not currently own a tow vehicle… do not buy under size vehicle … safety is your priority

Dahillbilly

we have a 40' 5th wheel with separate garage and love it, gives us enough room to do what we want. looked at other models without the garage & decided not for us for long term trips(over winter).

taskswap

LOL compromise.

I wanted a medium size travel trailer. My wife wanted a fifth wheel. So we compromised on a fifth wheel.

arisce

If you are planning on traveling and staying at the same campground for a longer period of time then go big, 40 feet plus.
If you plan on traveling from place to place but not staying at the same campground for long then go medium size, 35 to 39 feet.
Do not go small!

pfedso

If you are planning on traveling and staying at the same campground for a longer period of time then go big, 40 feet plus.
If you plan on traveling from place to place but not staying at the same campground for long then go medium size, 35 to 39 feet.
Do not go small!
We like to keep on rolling, so good tip.

I travelled around Australia several years ago and whenever I encountered another traveler - usually a "grey nomad", so retired folk who travel at leisure - I would go and say hi. I remember pulling into what was literally a layby in rural South Australia next to an RV, and when I asked how long they'd been in the area they said "In this spot, about a month".... a month in a layby!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved you out of the girls room.
And to clarify for those of us that don't know, a layby is what we in the states call a rest stop. Thank you Google.
I say go big if that's what your wife wants. You know the old saying, happy wife, happy life.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

We started off in a 35' 5er bunkhouse w/ 2 adults and 2 kids. After they grew up and left, wife/I went to a 41' 5er. Most folks would say it should've been the other way around. We love the extra room tho it does present challenges if we want to visit any state or national parks. Plus take into consideration your current tow vehicle or larger one down the road if you ever wish to go larger RV yet.

cgia

I've always had camper-sized vans or trucks like the Land Cruiser, so not really used to big vehicles. My wife thinks bigger the better seeing as how much we'll be "living" in it.

Hi, I am on my 3rd camper. I prefer a towable cuz then I only pay drivers insurance on my tow vehicle and my insurance on my camper is half the cost.

To long a trailer does not fit in many parks. I do travel solo (with small dog). My new rig is a Sundance 21HB (hatchback). Add the tongue length 28ft maybe. No slide. My tow vehicle is a Ford 250 Transit Medium Roof(stand able up to 6ft tall) tows 6400 lbs cuz it's AWD Eco boost. It's an extension of my home, my garage, my den, guest room, hobby room & great fir day trips.

I installed 350 watts of solar to run the 12volt fridge and have a 300 AH battery (dealer gives you 2-12 V batteries not enough to run the refrigerator even with full hook up). like Goldilock says, "this one's too big, this one's too small, this one's just right.". Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8299.jpeg
    IMG_8299.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8510.jpeg
    IMG_8510.jpeg
    554.6 KB · Views: 8

david-steph2018

Our rig is a 45-ft. toy hauler, that we tow with a Ram 3500 dually. I would get what is comfortable to drive & to live in.

DaveBecky

We just got rid of our second 5er and bought a 30’ travel trailer. We’ve camped our entire lives in everything - tents, pop-ups and on and on. As we are older now, we wanted something shorter and not as tall to pull. We’re going to miss the nice closets and storage. It’s just the two of us and our cat. But - if we were just starting out, I’d definitely go bigger.

CoMaddMax

We have a 43' 5er and haul our motorcycles but it's a great office or extra bedroom for guests plus you can use the rear ramp for a patio which we love. I would go less than 42 feet as the tail swing has damaged our tail end 3 times and if it had been a foot shorter, we would have missed all the obstacles. We also have a larger shower which we really like too. Good luck with your search!

Number409

Figure out what you plan on doing with your RV. My wife and I settled on a Mallard M260 31’ for our first RV. We love it and have no interest in getting a bigger one. We head out on long weekends (Thurs - Sun) at least once a month And head out a week or 10-days at a time every summer. If you already have a tow vehicle, look for an RV that your truck can easily tow. If you need to buy a truck, figure out what RV you and your wife want then purchase a truck that will easily pull it.