How long will my propane last?

StuartT

Jim, Erika, thanks. That's some real world data to digest and will influence my planning depending on our destination. I went out and measured my clearances for going with 40# tanks, but when I lifted the 30# tank into place I just had filled, that cooled me off. I think I will get a spare 30# to have along just in case. I also like the idea of a catalytic wall mount heater mentioned earlier. I remerber installing one in a motorhome I had back in the early 90's and recall when we were skiing in Taos, it was below zero at night and that catalytic sure was nice to get close to.

rick_debbie_gallant

There are roughly 90,000 btu's in a gallon of propane. A 30 lb tank has about 7 gallons. 90,000 * 7 gal = 630,000 BTU's.

Furnace uses 35000 btu per hour running. I think would be about 18 hours of straight run time.

We use a "big buddy" space heater made by "Mr Heater". These little things work great and they put out a lot of heat. They put out from 4,000 to 18,000 btu and are really portable. Tractor supply has them for 109.00. I have seen them for as much as 160.00.

They use the disposable propane bottles (2) or hook to a thirty or 20 lb cylinder. I know this is not what the op asked but I think is good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyleyrabbit

And just remember, the propane bottles that come with our trailers are designed to only run out between 1am and 3:30am. :)

rick_debbie_gallant

Guess'in I been lucki. Mine (propane tank) always runs out during the day. I must have a flaw in my tank/system!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartT

Probably the smartest thing to do to prevent middle of the night empties is to turn off the tanks before you go to bed. :angel: