How many Viet Nam vets

USN 62-66 Hats off to all you ground troops in all wars. You guys are tops I was on a support ship in the aera, the USS Prairie AD15 a destroyer tender. The Praire served us from Sep 1940 to Mar 1993, 52yr and 3mo of service. She saw service all of WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, and Desert Storm. Thats why the US armed forces are the best in the world. Bless you all.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just a thought...Maybe if everyone who has served in the military in 'wartime' would talk more about it war would not be so glamorized in the media. War is a terrible traumatic thing, not glamorous. Children as your parents about their experiences in the military. Get them to tell you what they did, where they were, and how they felt. It can be educational for the children and a relief for the parent. My father was in the Army Air Corp in WWII and never talked about it and would barely answer when asked.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
That's a nice thought, but in reality, those that never served in combat could never really understand. It's best to just keep it to yourself or your old war buddies. Some things are unspeakable and while the Viet Nam war was a little different, you are
seeing things from the current wars that are only tips of the iceberg...War is war and you do what you have to do to survive. Enough said.

Sandpirate69

I was just born in 69. But I did serve in OIF/OED from 2007 to 2008. I was in Law & Order DET D attached to the 1st Army as a Convoy Commander. I don't think I will tell my daughter what I had to do when people didn't move off the road when we were going through. Orders are orders and whats done i've put in the back of my memory. I have a lot of respect for those who served in Viet Nam. We now have a different battle ground and it will be this way for a long time to come. MA1/E6 USNR

Ivan

Steadfast

On Coast Guard Cutter Winona during tet offensive '68 (yes, we were there too). We were just offshore boarding junks and providing gun fire support inland.

Netem

# 36 0n the loto US Army 2nd Infantry 122 Signal Korea 1970-71 13 1/2 months. Most of my friends from AIT went to Nam I feel very lucky to have been sent to Korea. Thanks to everyone that has served.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Just a thought...Maybe if everyone who has served in the military in 'wartime' would talk more about it war would not be so glamorized in the media. War is a terrible traumatic thing, not glamorous. Children as your parents about their experiences in the military. Get them to tell you what they did, where they were, and how they felt. It can be educational for the children and a relief for the parent. My father was in the Army Air Corp in WWII and never talked about it and would barely answer when asked.

Nice thought but it would never happen. Media is going to print what they want us to hear and what will sell "copy." They haven't cared about the truth for over 50 years now.

USMC DaNang and surrounding country side from Hill 55 to Hill 727 -- 1966 & 67

Amen, Amen!

Hockster

====================================================================================================================================

santafesoul

Thanks for starting this thread, a couple of us served in the same squadron and have enjoy a walk down memory lane.

Paul

rick_debbie_gallant

Thanks for starting this thread, a couple of us served in the same squadron and have enjoy a walk down memory lane.

Paul

Welcome home Paul. You are welcome and God bless.
Thank you for your service. We as VIETNAM vets have been "in the closet" for far too long. In part because of our fellow Americans, and yes even some fellow VIETNAM vets. It really is time to hold our heads high and without shame We did or tried to do what our leaders told us. And I for one will not treat our current soldiers the way our fellow vets were treated. Sorry if I got too Political ...........

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ks0tca
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
635th mms utapao thailand I worked munitions and built and delivered bombs to the b52's. 69 and 70.USAF discharged dec. 71

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)

Jim, I appreciate what you are suggesting but it is not possible. You do not discuss it because there are no good memories. I sleep with my nightmares.
Nothing personal but if you have not walked in the boots do not tell me how to handle my life. When you have been through a war return and advise us.
Vietnam 25th Infantry Division 3B, 3B, HQ Company 66-67
Randy Santha and the Poodles

jimtoo

So does our son. Desert Storm and will not say anything.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Eric, Dorothy has let some of the closet out to Santha and I and we appreciate your Service. Not everything is in the closet.
Randy, Santha and the poodles