Hows T-mobil for data

DeanWag

Currently we have Verizon that seems to work everwhere, Tried sprint , now Son is telling me to switch to t-mobil for their pricing. Anyone have any experience traveling using t-mobil ?

danemayer

There's quite a bit of fine print regarding the data plans and speeds. There are roaming limitations too. Management of the data speed varies by plan. Make sure you know what you're getting. Here's one section of fine print.

Network Management: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming. Unlimited high-speed data customers who use an extremely high amount of data in a bill cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that bill cycle at locations and times when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds. See t-mobile.com/Openinternet for details.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When it comes to coverage (which is very important here in Colorado) . . . none of them cover like Verizon!

They aren't perfect . . . but they cover just about everywhere and the others don't even come close.

MTPockets

I would not consider anyone other than Verizon for traveling in many states. T-mobile may be good in some geography, but certainly not wide spread like Verizon.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you currently have Verizon and it "seems to work everywhere", why would you change?
I have had Verizon since forever, am happy with it and have no intention of changing.
I guess everyone has their prefered provider based on their needs and requirements and they may not be the same as someone else's.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have some friends that had T-Mobil which works great in the big city. As soon a they left the city there was nothing in most areas. There are big 'holes' in their coverage. We have Verizon (DW) and ATT (Me) so we have coverage most everywhere. Even then we have found 'holes' in both ATT and Verizon. BTW ATT recently bought Direct TV so we shall see how that will work out.

Bohemian

I can make no comment on data plans. We had T-Mobile for over 10 years. They had great customer service. However, cell reception at our home was poor to non-existent. As we became dependent on our cell phones it became annoying. Then I noticed that ATT was also using GSM standards just like T-Mobile which meant I should be able to roam on the ATT connection. I called T-Mobile and asked to be Allowed to use the ATT GSM signal. They said no. Absolutely no. Not for free, not for a charge. I told them I was going to drop T-Mobile. They said NO. I moved to ATT.

T-Mobile is know for far less coverage then ATT and Verizon. If T-Mobile covers where you are at it great.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
T-Mobile is OK when you are around the major cities and freeways, but their coverage in more remote areas is horrible. Also they meter their Data usage, so the more Data you use in a billing period, the slower it gets. T-Mobile is growing and maybe someday they will be a better cell phone carrier, but I am with the others, for how we (Heartlanders) normally travel and use our data and cell phone plans, Verizon is hands down the best.

Rod

Lynn1130

If you currently have Verizon and are thinking of trying another company you might want to keep Verizon while you try the other or not switch. Verizon just announced some major changes in plans and if you leave and then decide to come back, what you get may be worse than what you have.

farside291

I have T-Mobile and have had it since the service was called Voice Stream. When 4G LTE coverage is there everything is fast, as a matter of fact, faster then my home connection...but, when connection is slow, like E coverage, forget it. T-Mobile coverage is a little spotty. For example when I travel to Arkansas for work, at the Hotel, no coverage, nothing. Have to use the WI-FI calling. But at work 11 miles away 4G LTE. That's what I mean by spotty coverage. I stay with T-Mobile because I am grandfathered in for unlimited data, no limits.

Crumgater

Hi farside291... I think we have you beat... we've been with T-Mobile since they were Western Wireless (pre-VoiceStream days). :)
Mostly on the employee plan, which was AWESOME!

I have to agree, when it's good, it's GREAT, when it's not good... it's basically non-existent. BUT, if there's a wifi signal, you're still connected. They do calling & data over wifi, no charge.

We do run into coverage issues when out off the beaten path... and we carry a Verizon hotspot mifi to keep us covered during those times.