Hydraulic front landing gear

surreyboy

ok , so i have a Heartland 395 & the previous owner installed a set of hydraulic jacks (from princess auto i think) up front to assist the crappy under powered electric jacks that came with the thing.
The last couple trips last summer , the pump would wine but not pressure up , i would flick the switch a few times & it would finally pressure up & work. then , it just stopped spinning all together & the solenoid just clicks.....so today i go & put a new solenoid in & it just clicks....im very unfamiliar with hydraulics anyone have any ideas what it might be or where i should start looking/checking to troubleshoot ?

thanks

danemayer

Hi surreyboy,

Whining and clicking sounds could be a power issue. You might start by checking/cleaning the battery terminals and getting your battery load tested at an auto parts/repair place. If you've got a volt meter handy, check to see if the voltage across the battery terminals is 13.2 - 13.6 VDC when plugged into shore power.

surreyboy

hey , thanks
the whining was the pump motor spinning , once it would pressure up , it would make a higher pitched sound as fluid would pressurize i would suspect ? as for the batteries , there good , checked & charged them , even hooked up the truck to the plug , which charges the batteries as well. i guess it wouldn't hurt to sand down the leads lightly but everything has a solid contact & the connections are tight.....with a brand new solenoid , there should be something more no ?

anyhow danemayer , thanks , much appreciated , will go over them again

LBR

hey , thanks
the whining was the pump motor spinning , once it would pressure up , it would make a higher pitched sound as fluid would pressurize i would suspect ? as for the batteries , there good , checked & charged them , even hooked up the truck to the plug , which charges the batteries as well. i guess it wouldn't hurt to sand down the leads lightly but everything has a solid contact & the connections are tight.....with a brand new solenoid , there should be something more no ?

anyhow danemayer , thanks , much appreciated , will go over them again
You mentioned a higher pitched sound as pressuring up....If that higher sound is more of a high pitched squeal, is the pump possibly cavatating and need more fluid?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You mentioned a higher pitched sound as pressuring up....If that higher sound is more of a high pitched squeal, is the pump possibly cavatating and need more fluid?

Like Dan said Check your Voltage should be 13V or 14V then when you hit the button it should hold close to 12V while your pushing it. The clicking solenoid is usually low voltage. Caused by bad batteries, bad ground, or bad positive cables connections.