Ice Maker Poll - give Heartland your feedback

Ice Maker in the RV

• We have one built into our RV refer and we use it often. We'd want it the same way in our next RV.

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • We have one built into our RV refer and we rarely to never use it. We'd rather have more space.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We have one built into our RV refer but we prefer to use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use little to no ice, we obtain ice as needed.

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

porthole

Retired
Duane they say not to drain the water though. That is what helps to keep everything cold. Also try having things precooled before you put them in there with your ice.

There comes a time when you have to drain some water. Longnecks that start to rust under the cap is an example :eek:

Given the cost, I would expect it to perform better then any other cooler we have under the same circumstances. Meaning for example, I am not going to pre-cool the cooler 3 days in advance.
Nothing has gone in the cooler that has not come out of the house fridge first. When replacing spent beer, I usually replace one for one, but only after done for the day.

"The Hull Truth", a fishing - boating forum I use has one particular thread that has over 1100 posts on the plusses an minus' of the yeti's

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember if I voted before, but I removed just the icemaker tub from my Dometic Side-by-side refrig, as the whole mechanism is too much hassle to remove. I had repeated pinhole leaks in the tubing under the slide, and I didn't like the 4 hour icemaking time. I bought a tabletop icemaker through WalMart.com
which makes 6 round ice chunks (no such a thing as a cylindrical "cube") about every 12 minutes or so. After 3 years of use, mine is starting to have some intermittent problems, but I found a YouTube video yesterday (in 3 parts) on disassembling the tabletop icemakers and repairing a common plastic fracture problem.

Come on now Bill, you know you are supposed to post a link when ya refer to something :rolleyes:

I have had 3 portable Dometic's go bad now (large size). After the last one I am beginning to think it might be debris building up in the water pump. I usually will find specs of debris floating around in the reservoir but didn't pay much attention to it. If I could get it out I would, but have you tried picking up a small fleck of dirt in water? Note that I turn on my ice maker before we leave the house and it stays on until we are back home.

So with the newest replacement ice maker I bought a large baster. I use that to remove any stuff i see floating around. Works pretty good, and much better then a spoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Non scientific high end cooler test. Coleman extreme came out pretty good.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I bought a Yeti for our recent trip where we needed to use the electric cooler in freezer mode. For the price of a Yeti, I am not that impressed. I used it for drinks and kept it toped off with ice from the portable ice maker. I had to drain the cooler daily, which was about what I had to do with our regular cooler.

My son has a Yeti-style cooler, a Pelican I think. In his opinion performance varies greatly based on conditions, use and contents. They car camp so he usually uses it for frozen foods storage for the duration of the trip.
The more often you open and close a cooler the quicker the ice will melt. Another poster here said how his cooler (when forgotten) still had ice after xxx days. I have a 40 year old Coleman cooler that will hold ice for nearly a week if it's not opened everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

O.K Duane, here is the link to the first of the You Tube repair videos. The guy does a decent demonstration of how to disassemble the icemakers, but he does the whole project sitting on his living room rug, videoed by his girlfriend, with his cat coming in an licking the icemaker parts at times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyaO_Q6CBUM

porthole

Retired
OK, watched the videos. So far with my icemakers it has been mostly no water flow. I did have a basket issue on one, but it waas not cracked, jsut didn't move anymore.

I have had mine apart to that level twice.