Im a newbie and looking to find out to why buy a Heartland

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we got ours, we were looking for a new rig and wanted to go from TT to 5er. We went to the Tulsa OK spring RV show. We looked at an ocean of RVs; so many that we could not remember which one had what anymore, except the Heartland. It was the only one that stuck in both mine and DWs mind. She loved the layout as did I and the build quality stuck with me. I knew nothing about the owners club at the time so I had no influence from this site. We left and went to eat dinner and discuss it and went back and bought the Sundance.

If you have the opportunity to go to a RV show, I suggest that you do so or even a dealer with multiple brands and compare.

Welcome to the forum and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We fell in love with our first ever TT the first time we stepped into it. Bought it two weeks later. Then, went to the RV show 4 months later and looked at every competitor. Could not find a better rig! When we were ready to upgrade, I was again comparing everything to HL, and could not find anything better. We would like to go to a Landmark down the road... And yes, again, we've looked at the competitors, but nothing compares.

We've also been very happy with HL customer service. (Now Dealers, we've had issues... but HL has been great!)

Good luck in your search!

CliffP

We fell in love with our first ever TT the first time we stepped into it. Bought it two weeks later. Then, went to the RV show 4 months later and looked at every competitor. Could not find a better rig! When we were ready to upgrade, I was again comparing everything to HL, and could not find anything better. We would like to go to a Landmark down the road... And yes, again, we've looked at the competitors, but nothing compares.

We've also been very happy with HL customer service. (Now Dealers, we've had issues... but HL has been great!)

Good luck in your search!

We have been to two big RV shows since our purchase and didn't see a better quality TT for any price.

Cliff and Mindy

macjj

I can not emblish any more on the senior members - they are on the money. We were looking for 5er to replace our class A and we fell in love with the floor plan on a 3070RL. After doing some reseach, we backed down (too many negitivites compared to positives) - so I did some more research. Generally Heartland's rating was well above average (price, quality and service). The higher end units not only cost more, but had limited production (if not at all in this economy). We went to many shows and researched over a 6-8 month period. I was impressed with the hydraulic system for the slides and the front lift. I was impressed with the solid wood construction vs lamination. Other features like the slam shut doors was comparable to others (Keystone - Montanna, Alpha, etc) And my wife could not find a floorplan comparable. We bought ours last November - have not been disatisfied since. I will not state we were without problems or issues - but you get the same with a new house and pay quite a bit more. We are now in a travel mode for the last 60+ days with at least 2 weeks to go. We have noted some improvements, but then who has not.

As my predessors have stated this forum has been great (although sometimes difficult to find exactly what you are looking for). Everyone is willing to lend a hand. Have not been to a rally as yet, but hope to attend in the future.

Also you might look into rv007.com for a great price - I saved a bundle (more than progressive)

Wolfpackers

Big Horn, Big Country, & Landmarks are all warrantied for full-time use. We toured manufacturing plants of four quality, competing builders last September and decided that the Landmark/Big Horn plant did it best. We went with the Big Horn for the size we wanted and ordered some of the Landmark upgrades.

I too am a potential Heartland owner. would love to know which other plants you visited and what your thoughts were after those visits...specifics are welcomed. If you don't want to post here, feel free to send via PM.

Tumble Weed

That is a good question.
What so hard about buying is the sale people, they blow my mind when they think they know what IM looking for.

Tumble Weed

Thanks evry one for your info. I do think Ill be focusing on Heartland, big country, big horn, maybe a Landmark.
So many other companys just didnt add up, maybe Carriage, but they went bankrupt and thats scary.

gvsummer

We spend over a year looking at different RV's. We finally decided to buy a Bighorn 3455rl, we love the floor plan, construction and we had a amazing Sales Rep if you can belive that. We really enjoy al the things that came with our Bighorn. So we defintly would recommend a Bighorn by Heartland.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We spend over a year looking at different RV's. We finally decided to buy a Bighorn 3455rl, we love the floor plan, construction and we had a amazing Sales Rep if you can belive that. We really enjoy al the things that came with our Bighorn. So we defintly would recommend a Bighorn by Heartland.

They don't all wear plaid suits and smoke cheap cigars.

Tumble Weed

BH 3455RL
It's been a while since I've been here. I did buy a 2008 NUWA HHII LS 32.5 not a bad unit, there a good quality brand if you buy there Champagne RV, the LS 32.5 are lighter but still heavier than Heartland Big Horn 3455RL. In my NUWA they actually have (contacted paper)paper covered wood cabinets and the NUWA coaches are heavier. Counter top has cracked. They do say quality weights more. Ceiling fan is over the entry door(why). They might go out of business still a debate if they will. Which is a big deal.
Went other day to a local dealer in Longview to buy a Splendide and made mistake of DW and me looking at Big Horns BH 3455RL it jump up and bit us, wow.
I actually wish I had bought the Heartland, I just want a unit that will last for the next 20 years, with me maintaining it. I'M a full timer and started looking again for a heartland.
Sorry just got misdirected.

jbeletti

Welcome back dgertzjr. We're all here to help you learn more about Heartland and about the Bighorn product.

Jim

JanAndBill

We've just about finished packing, stowing away, and getting our new 3260 ready to go. Will be leaving in a few days so, we'll know for sure if we made the right choice. However, I can tell you what we've been impressed with so far - #1 Cabinets/storage it's amazing - never thought I run out of stuff to put away, before I ran out of storage space, #2 Floors - you don't notice the floor flex in some units till you walk on one for a bit that doesn't flex, #3 Hydraulic slides and jacks - slick - I don't know why they don't use them on the rear instead of the electric. I would have gladly paid extra.

jbeletti

Jan and Bill,

I know how you feel. I move RVs often and I wonder "where's it all going to fit?". Yet - it all does!

The lack of bounce, flex or give in the floor is owned to the laminated floor system used in your Bighorn and other brands of Heartland product. In my opinion, the laminated floor system in towable product is really a game changer.

Hydraulics? Love'em. Can they fail? Sure. But so can electric motors. I've had hydraulic slide rooms and front jacks since my first 5th wheel in 2005. Amazingly fast and strong.

On the rear, you likely have a tandem electric jack system. They are not hydraulic as they are not levelers. They are stabilizers. So, you level out your coach manually (as you don't have LevelUp) and when the coach is level, "then" you lower the rear stabilizers til they hit the ground, then lower them a bit more to take a bit of the weight of the coach.

Happy camping!

JanAndBill

Just a quick update on our first trip in the 3260EL. Only serious problem has been the lack of air out of the rear heat vent which has been addressed in another post. The only other problems that have occured were minor. Heartland could do a better job with instructions in their owners manual which would have eliminated some of our frustration on the first set up. The other items were the bedroom door would not latch. Needs to have the strike plate adjusted. The closet/washer door will not latch, again the striker plate needs to be adjusted. However whoever put in the screws on the strike plate put them in crooked which left the head sticking out, which cut a groove in the door, so now the door needs repaired. Upper cabinet door over the TV the hinge popped loose. Lastly the vent cover over the rear heat duct is so far off that they missed it entirely on one side. As I said for the most part minor problems, but with a quality unit like Heartland it just seems out of place.

Westwind

We can all tell you of little and some big things that needed attention after our first stay, mine was a three month stay and there were some small fixes, cabinet door hinges, easy fix. Not so small was the hot water heater quit on electric, thermostat gave out and we had it fixed at a Camping World in Florida (not a good experience) and the nut fell off the kitchen slideout pneumatic valve so it fell off the bracket and the slide wouldn't go out. We were on our way home and only stayed one night in it with that problem and I fixed it myself rather to take it back to the dealer, but now I realize that once the factory authorized it I could have taken it to any nearby RV service center.

laprez

My experience has been similar. Lots of stupid stuff that shouldn't have got through QC/engineering - so calling Heartland a quality product is hard to do. Customer service has been good, slow, but things eventually have gotten taken care of (although that is partly due to dealer). Taking the rig in on Monday for possible delamination problem - this is the most serious issue so far....

But had an Excel prior and had lots of problems with it also.