intelli charger- leave charging thru winter?

chris60

Hi all, maybe you can help, I have read the manual about our 09 intelli charger, & am wondering if one week per month would be sufficient to keep my batterys charged & in good shape thru the winter. or do you leave it on all the time & let it do its thing. I like how it will work at preserving the life of the battery's with the desulfation period . One note, it is fairly mild here in the Northwest.

thomasinnv

with an intelli charger or charge wizard it is best to just leave it plugged in and let it do it's thing. leaving your trailer un plugged for 3 weeks will result in dead batteries due to parasitic loads, unless you have a disconnect switch. even though, i would leave it plugged in and forget about it. maybe just check the water level in the batts a few times through the winter just to be safe.

2010augusta

The one time we have had to store our trailer we just turned the disconnect switch, and all was good. Living in the Landmark full time now we have had very very little water loss after almost a year of use. As long as the battery is completely disconnected it will not get damaged or discharge.

chris60

well, then I may go 1 week, then use the Battery disconnect. I will try and balance it out, I don't want to wear out the charger either.

lhetsler

Battery

I leave my battery without charging for sometimes a couple months at a time. With the battery switch on disconnect, the battery maintains a good charge. When I put her up for the winter in northern Ohio, I take the batteries out and put them on a trick charger for two or three days each month. I keep the batteries in the garage up off the concrete floor on wood. I store my unit away from home, so I can't leave it plugged in. This seems to work well.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Plug it in and check water level in battery once or twice during the winter. Not keeping it charged all the time will shorten the life of the battery. My other 5er stayed pluged in all the time and was 7 yrs old when traded and it still had the orginal battery.

Jimmyt5

Myth: The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor.

Taken from this sight http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

But I still do it:confused:;)

lhetsler

Battery

I had never heard that. The reason I don't store them on the floor is because the concrete is very cold.