Irregular Power after lightning storm

ross0547

Hi Everyone! We were at a campsite where there was an intense lightning storm, in fact the RV next to us had a direct strike, fried everything, including to their Diesel, which won't start now, good luck and prayers with them!
Our problem is we can't get steady power. We plug into 50 amp AC, and everything works fine, but gradually peters out. Then it seems to switch to battery. When we have AC for a brief time, all gauges and implements work, but the power won't sustain. We have a current monitor that shows 120-125, yet it starts to beep at us when things run down, but still showing a reading of 124!
Is this likely a power converter problem or weak ground or a faulty breaker? I notice in the junction panel that one breaker is for "Converter " and "Slide" (two switches, one or each function). The slides stopped working on AC, but thankfully work on battery.
Any ideas??
Ross

Garypowell

Re: Irregular Power after lighntning storm

These kinds of problems can be difficult unless you have independent instrumentation. You don't know where the problem is....us or them.

IF you have spoken to other neighbors and they are fine then it is probably you. But if they are having fluctuations too then them.

If you...it might be wise to have campground check your pedestal. If they call out an electrician you night be able to piggy back on that service call.

I put put myself through college as an electrician so I know a few things. If lightning had damaged my trailer I think I would want someone licensed to check things out rather than just replacing components.

danemayer

Hi Ross,

When you say the power won't sustain, are you talking about both 110V devices and 12V devices? Do your TV and Microwave work? Do your 12V lights work? Refrigerator? Furnace?

Can you break this down more clearly into what's working and what isn't working, or what works for a while and then stops.

Vtxkid

Would recommend a surge protector install... Progressive has a Electrical Maintenance System (EMS) that I wouldn't do without! Definitely gives you peace of mind where ever you plug in to ensure you appliances, etc are protected.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ross0547

Hi Dan! When we first plug into 50 amp Everything works: TV, Microwave; all the appliances you expect with alternating current; after a while however, things fade, lights, fridge goes on "Check". Then we shut everything down, unplug and switch to our o-board battery!
My nephew thinks that the systems, because of a faulty ground are now operating in series, rather than parallel.
Cheers
Ross

danemayer

Hi Dan! When we first plug into 50 amp Everything works: TV, Microwave; all the appliances you expect with alternating current; after a while however, things fade, lights, fridge goes on "Check". Then we shut everything down, unplug and switch to our o-board battery!
My nephew thinks that the systems, because of a faulty ground are now operating in series, rather than parallel.
Cheers
Ross

If the TV keeps working but lights dim/go out, fridge goes on check, that indicates you've got a 12V problem. But I'm not sure what you mean when you say "switch to our on-board battery." Are you running on shore power with your battery cutoff switched to OFF? Then when the lights dim, you're turning it ON?

Normally when plugged into shore power, the power converter converts the 110V AC into 12V DC. The converter output goes to 2 places: the fusebox and the buss bar near the battery. Converter output will typically provide enough 12V to operate lights, fridge, and other 12V systems. The battery is needed to operate hydraulics, stabilizers, and slides (except maybe the bedroom slide).

So if you have the battery cutoff OFF, and 12V stuff fails on shore power after a little while, but the TV and other 110V AC things still work, the Power Converter would be the likely suspect. It may have been subjected to a power surge or a static electricity overload from the lightning.

Normally, you would leave the battery cutoff ON even while on shore power. Your battery gets charged by the power converter, but if the cutoff is OFF, the charging path is interrupted.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your description when you say "switch to our on-board battery." If the converter is damaged, the battery will be depleted. So when you plug in to shore power, it gives you 12V for a little while to run lights and charge the battery, but then it dies. Since the battery is depleted, it won't supply power for very long.

If the TV and other 110V AC devices also die, that would suggest 1) damage to the pedestal or 2) damage to the power cord/socket, 3) damage to the transfer switch (if you have one), or 4) damage to the circuit breaker panel. Any of these could have happened as a result of a lightning strike.

If you assume it's the power converter, go to Walmart and get a smart battery charger for around $50. Use it to charge your battery and it will operate as a workaround for the power converter until you can get it replaced.

wdk450

You know if the 12 volt goes down after a while, (and the battery is disconnected like Dan thinks) the going down symptom could be consistent with the output transistors on the power converter overheating and shutting down the 12 volts the converter is making. You might want to check if the converter is overly hot after plugging in for a while, and if the fan in the converter works.

Read my post #6 on this thread for an explanation of the battery and converter/charger relationship in an RV: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/43449-Power-fluctuations?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

It might help if we knew what model floor plan you have.
I'm a bit confused by some of the information.

You stated that the slides stopped working on AC but continue to work on battery.
The slides work off 12 volts. So it shouldn't matter if you have AC or not. The battery will supply the power.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery? It should have 12.6 or more DC volts. 13+ if the converter is charging.

How are you "switching " to your on board battery? It should always be active, so there is no switching needed.

You mentioned junction panel. Are you talking about the breaker panel? Try to cycle the converter breaker off then on again.

It sounds like your problem might be one of a couple of things.
• Bad battery
• Bad battery connection
• Bad converter or lack of power to it caused by a tripped breaker or unplugged from receptacle
• Faulty ground at the buss, check all connections there located behind the battery

If your current monitor is beeping at 124 volts then it may have been damaged by the lightning.

As mentioned earlier you really need to get some sort of electrical management system on board.
They not only give you some protection against surges but also help monitor and protect against other things as well.
Progressive Industries is my first choice.

Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

If the trailer next to you took a direct hit, then you would have gotten a large voltage spike on the 110 volt service in your travel trailer coming in from the shore cable and your pedestal, too. There is a voltage regulator board in your AC to DC converter that has several spike sensitive parts that could have failed due to the large voltage spike. There are sensitive boards in your 110 V microwave oven, 110 V television too. Your 12 volt items (radio, slide motors, lights, fans, refrigerator, furnace and air conditioner control boards have sensitive parts too but the 12 volt batteries tend to soak up any surge spikes picked up on the 12 volt wiring from a lightning strike or that some how passed thru the AC to DC converter.

I also recommend protection for your travel trailer. The most affordable portable one that provides surge guard and gives you lights to warn you of a pedestal problem so you can not plug in your shore cable and do any damage based on the lights is the Technology Research 44270.

For a little more money you can get one that won't pass power to your travel trailer at all if there is any problem, so you don't have to look at lights and make the right decision. These also block power if voltage is too low or too high, or if there is a major ground problem, which is another couple types of pedestal problem that a surge protector alone won't protect against.