Is a 50 amp switch enough for a typical slide-out?

rikreed

Less than 2 years ago, after owning my Landmark 365 for 5 years, my slideouts started getting that same intermittent, start/stop issue I've read many people have issues with here on this forum. So I bought (4) 50 amp switches off Amazon and put one on and it has worked until now. This was the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7PVJ88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I could put one of the same ones on but was wondering if there was a more permanent solution, like an 80 or 100 amp switch?

rikreed

A lot of us have upgraded to an 80 amp breaker
Here's a pic of my current 50 amp breakers, which are attached to a bus in succession with around 6, all close together in a horizontal line. Looking at 80 amp breakers on Amazon, I don't see any that look like they would fit. Do you have to improvise to get that larger amp working?
61AyE8lm0lL._SX466_.jpg

LBR

Less than 2 years ago, after owning my Landmark 365 for 5 years, my slideouts started getting that same intermittent, start/stop issue I've read many people have issues with here on this forum. So I bought (4) 50 amp switches off Amazon and put one on and it has worked until now. This was the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7PVJ88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I could put one of the same ones on but was wondering if there was a more permanent solution, like an 80 or 100 amp switch?
Those are called breakers, not "switches" as you refer to them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with moving to an 80 amp setup but for $10 and ten minutes to swap out a new 50 amp breaker I would not move to an 80 amp breaker. I've changed mine once in 10 years. I do carry a couple of spares.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

I remember when my father would stick a penny or a larger amperage fuse in the fuse box when the fuse would blow. Then he wondered why the house wiring would get hot. Changing a circuit breaker to a higher amperage circuit breaker is the same thing. If the drive motor or the wiring is not rated for a 50 or 100 amperage circuit breaker you are risking an electrical fire. I would be looking for what is causing the amperage of the slide to trip the circuit breaker that the system was rated for.