is it 10% or 15%

cipwood

Ok I know, there’s been lots of stuff posted about tong weight. And I’ve read lots about it. All seem to agree 10 – 15% of GVRW is the right place to be. Ok, the question is which is it 10 or 15% and what determines that percentage? The difference on a 7000 lb. trailer is 350 lbs and that’s a big difference.

hoefler

Personally, I prefer 15% or greater on my bumper pull trailers with the proper equalizer. Too much tongue weight is always better than too little. With a good quality equalizing hitch that is set up properly for the vehicle AND the load, you will be able to drive with confidence and ease. Anything less, results in a very intense experience and an accident waiting to happen.

Dahillbilly

it's not an exact % , but a range of 10-15%. Has a lot to do with distance from hitch to axles & weight rearward of the axles. Use to haul a CJ-7 Jeep that I raced in mud pits & somedays I would have to reposition it on the trailer after a race (extra weight mud in the fender wells etc); only a few inches made a huge difference in how it towed. This was a 3/4 truck without any equalizing hitch.