Just installed my Centramatic balancers on my fifth wheel

Dmetcalf

I added some Centramatic balancers to my Cyclone 4007. I’m a firm believer in these due to the fact I’ve had them on my 3500 dually for the past 6 years and have experienced a great difference vs traditional wheel balancing that changes as the tire wears. I’m glad to have them onboard

SLO

Thanks for posting this….I think. Now I’m looking at these for trailer and truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taskswap

Just curious, how do you folks get a sense of balance issues/quality in your trailers? It's very noticeable in a truck's wheel but I've never really paid much attention to my trailers. Is it more of a vibration at certain speeds like in a vehicle or something else?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that if you were to ride in your trailer and your tires were not balanced you would feel the vibration of an out of balance tire just as you would if the same situation were to occur in your vehicle.
Years ago I bought some new tires for a camper I had and when I picked them up I asked if they balanced the tires and the reply was no. I asked why not and was told they never do. Again why not and what's the downside to not ballancing was told "you will just have a few more loose screws". I don't need more loose screws, at least in my trailer, balance my tires.
I like many others firmly believe in some sort of trailer tire balancing.

Peace
Dave

taskswap

I've had a similar experience, I was told they would balance them for a fee (same as for a car) but unless I requested it, by default they didn't balance trailer tires... That's why I wondered why folks always talk about it. I can totally understand if you have pets riding back there, but we've never had any inside items knocked over or damaged so it was never really on my radar. I didn't know if it helped the trailer tow better tho...

SLO

My reasoning for considering there is. While towing it’s hard to tell if you have a balance problem in the trailer wheels. I’ve had some uneven wear patterns that nobody can diagnose for certain. If a tire is out of balance it can’t have an even wear pattern (at least my small mind doesn’t think it can). If installing the Centramatic takes the balanceing out of the equation I’m willing to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

If a tire is out of balance it will wear faster and balance will only get worse. The larger the tire (rotational speed) the more it needs to be properly balanced. A friend actually blew a fender off his trailer.

Dmetcalf

On the tow rig you notice it through the smoother steering. On the trailer you just know the tires are wearing more evenly and probably running a bit cooler too.