Ladder

wildwolfproducts

For what it's worth, the manufacturer (Atwood) says that even though these end caps might crack and slip a little, the step will not collapse because the screws are holding the weight, not the plastic. Atwood is sending me replacements for all of the end caps, not just the cracked ones.

That is what they did for mine also. Plus was told I need to change out all the parts including the screws. The parts have come in but have not gotten the new parts put on yet.
Pete

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I also called ATwood and my unit was out of warranty but they sent me a complete set of end caps to replace even the one's that did not break.

Some people have all the luck! Good for you. I talked with Atwood about all my broken end caps and they told me I had to purchase new. Rig is out of warranty but the caps are the defective ones mentioned on previous posts. At $5.50 and 14 end caps I did the hose clamp fix. Not the best looking fix but it works!

rick_debbie_gallant

I am thinking about using velcro straps to anchor my ladder to the fivers ladder. The straight ladder would reach the ground and the velcro straps should do just to take some of weight off the main ladder.

MTPockets

i found this thread because I'm having the same problems now on my Big Horn ladder. Two of those plastic end caps have broken (Heartland sent replacements) and four of the standoff bolts have bent,, (See Pic) .... Every time I step onto the ladder, it sags - that's where the bolts bent. I've replaced the bolts but it still sags.

Anybody know if there is a stronger ladder made? Why are these things so flimsey?

ladder bolt.jpg

MTPockets

Ladder Update - I added four additional stand-offs that I ordered from Heartland Parts and it does make the ladder much stiffer - I feel safer now, BUT - In the meantime - three more of those plastic end caps have broken and the most recent order (1/3/13) cost me $7.35 each (less 10% HOC discount) ..... I'm just three months out of warranty..... I have contacted Atwood and have expressed my concern regarding my safety on their 300 lb rated ladder, and asked them for a 'fix' to this potential product liability issue.... Seems their replies have been erratic, but I havn't seen them come up with a solution... just sending more parts to break again isn't a proper solution..... I'll post an update when/if I have one...

GOTTOYS

I set a metal folding chair under mine with a few blocks on it if needed, to support the ladder. It keeps it from flexing while my lovely wife climbs up on it....Don

MTPockets

I set a metal folding chair under mine with a few blocks on it if needed, to support the ladder. It keeps it from flexing while my lovely wife climbs up on it....Don

Wouldn't a recliner work better? ...... Watching her climb sitting on a metal chair wouldn't be as comfortable... Actually. put the recliner over in the shade....

rick_debbie_gallant

I am going to try attaching the fly section of an extension ladder to the rigs ladder. Then I can just lower the base ladder to the ground to take up the weight of me. Sounds good in theory anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

Wouldn't a recliner work better? ...... Watching her climb sitting on a metal chair wouldn't be as comfortable... Actually. put the recliner over in the shade....
My mistake..I should have said I use TWO metal chairs. One under the ladder to support it and her, and one in the shade to support me..Don

Birchwood

I think the ladder is designed for normal use with an average weight individual that checks his or her roof
occasionally.If you suspend two bikes on the ladder or weigh above the average weight of most Americans
you may be over loading you ladder.At least that is the design criteria I would use for such an attachment.

rick_debbie_gallant

I think it is designed for that mythical "4 passengers at 150 lbs" you see on placards on your vehicle data plates. In other words 150 pounds and that is it. Not really designed for us "real he-men"!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracks

Hi there
Have you thought of putting a bumper on which gives you a number of uses.
1. To hold up the ladder via a bracket mounted on the bumper, works very well. Ladder doesn't flex much at all
2. To mount a bike rack on
3. For general protection against damage from another vehicle
View attachment 19882
I have enclosed a photo for your viewing.

Paul, I'm really interested in the rear bumper with the ladder mount. My Bighorn didn't come with a rear bumper and so if you could give me more information on the install and material that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to incorporate a 2" trailer hitch for a bicycle rack if possible.
Kirk

MTPockets

I think the ladder is designed for normal use with an average weight individual that checks his or her roof
occasionally.If you suspend two bikes on the ladder or weigh above the average weight of most Americans
you may be over loading you ladder.At least that is the design criteria I would use for such an attachment.

My ladder is clearly marked "300 lb. Capacity" ....... I only use it for that occasional look up top ... I don't enjoy climbing the ladder. I'm 230 lbs., well within the label limit, but the thing sags and the plastic end caps are breaking.... After I re-inforced with four more stand-offs, it pretty much eliminated the 'sag', but 'I' should not have had to fix their product. The plastic step caps still crack... At $7 each and used for only the intended purpose, the manufacturer owes us all a fix and a product that will do what it's labelled to do. The consumer should not be the one that has to re-engineer this ladder in order for it to do what it is suppose to do and do it safely without breakiong down every couple months...... Every RV owner should be a little more demanding that this simple item work properly without defect.... I've sent my thoughts to Atwood and I will press on until I get a satisfactory reply.... More need to do the same instead of accepting this as is. If it was labelled 200 lb. capacity, I would have no right to complain - It's suppose to hold up to 300 and it doesn't.

Westwind

I weigh 204 + clothing & shoes :cool: I climbed up to the roof to check snow load today and it held me without sagging. Been up and down a few times in the past year that I've owned it. Seems OK.

MTPockets

I weigh 204 + clothing & shoes :cool: I climbed up to the roof to check snow load today and it held me without sagging. Been up and down a few times in the past year that I've owned it. Seems OK.

That's great... It would be interesting to know why some have problems breaking these end caps and others don't.. Different batch/mold days? Different support spacing? Different amount of sun exposure/ Temperature? My 3055RL has 4 sets of ladder standoff supports. One set on the roof where the ladder ends are mounted, One set above the rear window and two below the window. The ladder mount flanges are oval shaped and have two screws - one on each side. I've seen some with a four hole flange which makes more sense. Do different models have different ladder support systems?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Being a scant lad (OK, old fart) at a mere 170 lbs., my ladder is the only means to get on the roof. Haven't seen any signs of damage or deflection using it. To use a portable ladder to get up there would mean using one that extends at least 3 feet above the roof while positioned at a 75 degree angle, and securely footed (that means braced so it don't slip). Anything less, and the result may be the same as the fixed ladder failing under you. You end up flat on your back looking up, if you're still conscious.

donr827

For me, getting up there is no problem. The real problem is the transition from the roof to the ladder to get back down.
Don

ChangingPlaces

Paul, I'm really interested in the rear bumper with the ladder mount. My Bighorn didn't come with a rear bumper and so if you could give me more information on the install and material that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to incorporate a 2" trailer hitch for a bicycle rack if possible.
Kirk
Hi Kirk
Sorry for the late reply. I will take some photos and post them soon
Cheers Paul