Landing Gear switch

Occo

attachment.php
The landing gear switch that controls the current to the motor was hot. The current is enough to fry the switch. The factory uses a double pole double throw switch wired in parallel to try to handle the current.
I had problems with mine and when I discovered this I looked for a better way to do this. I installed a relay, the same one Heartland uses to control the slides hydraulic motor (lower center), to control the landing gear motor. It handles the high current the gear motor draws and the switch just controls the low current on the relay control winding.
In the picture you can see where it is mounted (upper left corner) and it was simple and easy to wire it using #8 stranded to the motor. Battery voltage is 12.8vdc at the landing gear motor when it is running on 'extend', lifting the coach. Motor runs smooth and fast.
So I ask "Why doesn't the factory do this?" It is easier and faster to do than the way they did it and it works great!! Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_3130 (2).jpg
    IMG_3130 (2).jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 122

wdk450

attachment.php
The landing gear switch that controls the current to the motor was hot. The current is enough to fry the switch. The factory uses a double pole double throw switch wired in parallel to try to handle the current.
I had problems with mine and when I discovered this I looked for a better way to do this. I installed a relay, the same one Heartland uses to control the slides hydraulic motor (lower center), to control the landing gear motor. It handles the high current the gear motor draws and the switch just controls the low current on the relay control winding.
In the picture you can see where it is mounted (upper left corner) and it was simple and easy to wire it using #8 stranded to the motor. Battery voltage is 12.8vdc at the landing gear motor when it is running on 'extend', lifting the coach. Motor runs smooth and fast.
So I ask "Why doesn't the factory do this?" It is easier and faster to do than the way they did it and it works great!! Go figure.

Great modification!!! Shortening how far the high current has to travel on wiring is a great idea, and a lot of people have gone through landing gear switches.

I had a similar idea years ago in conjunction with the problem of no electrical limits on landing gear travel. I had envisioned upper and lower travel limit microswitches wired through a large current relay to do the job.

Lou_and_Bette

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this modification but I have a few of questions.

1. By “the landing gear switch that controls the current to the motor,”. Are you referring to the switch near the pin box that controls the up/down movement of the front jacks?

2. Where did you get the new “switch?”

3. Part number of new switch?

4. Did you have to use new wires or did you use the OEM wires?

Occo

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this modification but I have a few of questions.

1. By “the landing gear switch that controls the current to the motor,”. Are you referring to the switch near the pin box that controls the up/down movement of the front jacks?

2. Where did you get the new “switch?”

3. Part number of new switch?

4. Did you have to use new wires or did you use the OEM wires?

Hi Lou and Bette,

I used the existing switch that is the 'up/down' switch. Re-wired it to the new relay. I used #8 wiring for the motor and relay power. Got solder connectors at Lowes.

MTPockets

I had two of these switches go bad, then went to WW Grainger and told them what was happening. They sold me an industrial quality switch for half or less the price of switch from RV supplier. No more issues with their switch.

CarterKraft

A buddy of mines Cyclone is having this problem currently.

A possible solution for the wiring challenged might be this Cole Hersee Rotary Switch.

It is rated for 50 amps at 12v.

I am not sure which way to go yet, winch solenoid like you used or the switch.
I used winch solenoids on my stabilizer jack project and they work great and are cheap.

Occo

A buddy of mines Cyclone is having this problem currently.

A possible solution for the wiring challenged might be this Cole Hersee Rotary Switch.

It is rated for 50 amps at 12v.

I am not sure which way to go yet, winch solenoid like you used or the switch.
I used winch solenoids on my stabilizer jack project and they work great and are cheap.

The thing I like about the relay is it's current rating (150A surge and 75A continuous) and it is mounted close to the motor. No long runs of large wires. The control switch is handling low current with smaller wiring.