landing grear weld failure

AKDallBH

We are a week into a trip from Alaska to the lower 48 in our
2008 Bighorn 3670rl. We are not the original owners, we bought it in
May of this year and have lived in it full tome since July
While working on getting the house fixed up and sold.

We set up in Tok last night. When I went to hookbup this
morning I noticed that the rig was down about 5 inches.
The welds holding the outer tubed of both landing
jacks had failed and it dropped until the pins jammed
up into the frame. Must have happened about an our after
setup when we went to the store, otherwise we would have
Known when it happened.

With the help of a sunday call out to the only repair
shop in town, we were able to get it raised using jacks and
Onto the truck. Landing gear is wedged up and about 8" off
the ground.

With us going outside for the winter, we have just moved
on down the road. Currently in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory.
We are headed to Sequim, WA and once there can look into repairs.

Hoping to pick up a pair of hydraulic air jacks in Whitehorse
and some blocking, so we can unhook if we want to.

Did a search of the forum, and haven't really run across
this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess
we will see how well the extended warranty really is.

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your landing gear failure. I believe the 2008 Bighorn had electric landing gear. That should make finding a replacement jack much easier. Outside of your extended warranty of course, you could have this looked at and fixed by whomever you choose. Any dealer of any brand of RV.

But, if you want to find some Heartland dealers, consider using this link to try out the Dealer Locator. Another idea is to phone Heartland Customer Service this morning to see if they can help you find someone - 877-262-8032

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So the welds for the leg brackets failed? The landing gear legs are actually bolted in. Can you post a picture? This seems like an unusual failure, and a very concerning one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with TravelTiger. Unusual failure.
There should be a bar that connects the right and left jacks along with a motor on the door side jack.
Were any of these components damaged?

Peace
Dave

AKDallBH

Yes it does have electric gear, the one motor is a litle anemic
For running it and was looking at the threads for the dual
motor system. The transfer bar between the two is in tack.
I have the lp generator so the front hatch is pretty crowded to
Get into and see. Attached is one photo from the outside
showing the pins which kept it from going clear to the ground.
Tough to get photos of the inside, the ones I took don't show up
High enough, when dI get to a dryer place (it is raining now) I
will try and get some.

I noticed the seam on shell right at the curve under the slide has
Pulled apart slightly, and the gap under the bedroom side is
now slightly wider than the seal (when out). It will be another 3
weeks before we can stop and get it into a shop.

Scott

wdk450

So the welds for the leg brackets failed? The landing gear legs are actually bolted in. Can you post a picture? This seems like an unusual failure, and a very concerning one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erika and All:
Actually the landing gear is mated to the trailer frame with an outward small lip on the landing gear top outside edge that contacts the frame member. There is a U shaped clamp welded to the frame that has a bolt going across it that the landing gear top part sits in. But this U clam has little weight carrying power, most of the weight transfer is in the gear lip to frame metal interface.

I have posted my converns before about this small lip of metal supporting 1/2 of the forward weight of the trailer, but this design has been the industry standard for a long.long time.

Attached are 2 photos: The first clearly shows the swaged lip that mates with the trailer frame to carry all of this weight: The 2nd shows the U clamp that is welded to the frame with its closure bolt.
images.jpg images (1).jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika and All:
Actually the landing gear is mated to the trailer frame with an outward small lip on the landing gear top outside edge that contacts the frame member. There is a U shaped clamp welded to the frame that has a bolt going across it that the landing gear top part sits in. But this U clam has little weight carrying power, most of the weight transfer is in the gear lip to frame metal interface.

I have posted my converns before about this small lip of metal supporting 1/2 of the forward weight of the trailer, but this design has been the industry standard for a long.long time.

Attached are 2 photos: The first clearly shows the swaged lip that mates with the trailer frame to carry all of this weight: The 2nd shows the U clamp that is welded to the frame with its closure bolt.
View attachment 32017 View attachment 32018

Right, Bill,

I understand the (welded) clamps with bolts are what attach the legs to the rig, but the legs hold the trailer weight as it sits on that lip. That's why I was confused about the weld-break statement. Seems like it would take quite a force to break 4 welds.

dbbls59

I had a SOB with a generator up front and I kept having jack failures. I added a second motor and problem solved. There were two switches and the motors operated separately.