Landmark 365 - Ashland

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have a question about the new EMS system. We just bought a new Ashland that has this system. Because the system can use all forms of power, shore, batteries through inverter and generator what would be a good size generator to use. The old rule of thumb for a generator was to go larger than needed to handle the surge that is required to start up the AC units. I assume this EMS system eliminates the surge requirement needed by the generator. So if you are using the new EMS system and have a generator what are you using and is it working out OK?

jbeletti

Re: Landmark 365 - Placement of Water Heater and Furnace

Fred,

When factory ordered, we use the Cummins-Onan 5500 watt propane fueled generator. If you ordered 3 air conditioners, you wouldn't be able to start all 3 at the same time on 5500 watts, but I do think you can operate 3 on 5500 watts. That said, I just read a post on the forum yesterday of a user who installed a Cummins-Onan diesel generator in his Heartland and the wattage on it was 7000 or 7500 watts. And it fit in the front gen compartment. Only issue here is that we don't offer this from the factory and using a diesel generator requires the installtion of a diesel fuel cell. But wow - that's a lot of power :)

Don't confuse a "power surge", such as in a lightning srike or similar, with the surge (in-rush current) generated by a compressor starting up. The Power Control System (PCS) we use (Precision Circuits) has no surge supression/protection built into it for lighting strike protection. The TRC brand ATS (automatic transfer switch) from TRC will provide some level of surge protection.

What the PCS will do is help you juggle the power load (demand) you put on it by using AC powered items in your coach.

Great questions - keep asking them.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Re: Landmark 365 - Placement of Water Heater and Furnace

Jim,

I am scheduled to pickup my Ashland this Wednesday. Before I was a financial advisor I was a electrical engineer and one of my first jobs with the unit is to rate the power requirements based on what is on and off. The EMS unit shows you power usage as items turn on. By doing this I can get an idea what generators will cover in normal configurations. Example would be one AC unit on, induction cooktop in use and someone using hot water in the shower, etc. Cannot wait to see how this all works out plus I will publish my findings when I am done.

Fred

Fred,

When factory ordered, we use the Cummins-Onan 5500 watt propane fueled generator. If you ordered 3 air conditioners, you wouldn't be able to start all 3 at the same time on 5500 watts, but I do think you can operate 3 on 5500 watts. That said, I just read a post on the forum yesterday of a user who installed a Cummins-Onan diesel generator in his Heartland and the wattage on it was 7000 or 7500 watts. And it fit in the front gen compartment. Only issue here is that we don't offer this from the factory and using a diesel generator requires the installtion of a diesel fuel cell. But wow - that's a lot of power :)

Don't confuse a "power surge", such as in a lightning srike or similar, with the surge (in-rush current) generated by a compressor starting up. The Power Control System (PCS) we use (Precision Circuits) has no surge supression/protection built into it for lighting strike protection. The TRC brand ATS (automatic transfer switch) from TRC will provide some level of surge protection.

What the PCS will do is help you juggle the power load (demand) you put on it by using AC powered items in your coach.

Great questions - keep asking them.

porthole

Retired
Keep in mind the 5500 is two separate 30 amp feeds.

And where is this diesel install?
Mr B ??????? I was kinda expecting a "worded" link :rolleyes:

T

TomMontague

Correct - we do not have a remote system.

The he reason for the change was to make people aware of what they are doing when rolling out slides. We've had lots of warranty claims because of doors, drawers and pillows falling behind the slide facia and tearing things up. Without the remote you have to physically walk in and make sure things are good before rolling them in or out.

Thx tom

travlingman

I really like the remote. I can understand from the warranty part, but I like being able to be in the bedroom and bring in the slide while using the remote to watch. Being able to use it for the awning is a big help along with the front landing gear. Has the control for he bedroom slide been moved to the bedroom so you can watch it come in/out?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
You can still tear things up if you aren't paying attention or if you can't tell a couch has shifted. Ask me how I know. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Correct - we do not have a remote system.

The he reason for the change was to make people aware of what they are doing when rolling out slides. We've had lots of warranty claims because of doors, drawers and pillows falling behind the slide facia and tearing things up. Without the remote you have to physically walk in and make sure things are good before rolling them in or out.

Thx tom

Agree completely! Never used our remote for this reason...I want to watch each and every slide move....too easy to forget something.

jassson007

I like the remote for the awning. I keep it outside with me when awning is open in case wind comes up quickly. Had to pull it in several times due to this. Might not be practical but it is faster than trying to run inside and fumbling around trying to get it in before wind catches it.

I also use it when hooking up by myself to get height right to hook up.

T

TomMontague

The six point level up has a feature that puts the coach back to the exact same height as it was when it came off the truck. Unfortunately it's been a while since I had the training and I don't mess with it enough to remember.

Talk soon
tom

jassson007

It has that feature but it puts the coach higher than where I unhooked at no matter what. I use it to get it close and then adjust as I back up to pin.

kakampers

The six point level up has a feature that puts the coach back to the exact same height as it was when it came off the truck. Unfortunately it's been a while since I had the training and I don't mess with it enough to remember.

Talk soon
tom

What...you don't camp??? ;)

T

TomMontague

Haha - no I don't. I'm in these campers 24/7 it feels like. When I go home I like to hook up my bass boat and fish. I've also got three girls, two of which are in all kinds of sports so it's hard to go anywhere with all these practices. My third daughter is 2 and I'm sure you know what kinda fun that is.... Someday I'm sure.

kakampers

Haha - no I don't. I'm in these campers 24/7 it feels like. When I go home I like to hook up my bass boat and fish. I've also got three girls, two of which are in all kinds of sports so it's hard to go anywhere with all these practices. My third daughter is 2 and I'm sure you know what kinda fun that is.... Someday I'm sure.

Oh that's right...LOL! I forgot you were just a youngster...;). Enjoy those kids as long as possible...camping was our favorite family activity...that's what got us hooked on becoming full timers!

jbeletti

Dave - I moved your posts about identifying the 2 lines on the DC bus to their own thread in the Electrical - DC forum here.