leafspring problems

We have a 2008 38ft big country with 4 slides. In 2010 we had to replace the leaf spring on the drivers side with the 3 slides. Now 2 years later we had to replace the same one, along with a new shock. Is there any one else that has had to do this? Is there any advice that you can give us? Would appreciate some feedback.

jimtoo

Hi drdormanen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There has been lots of talk about springs on the 07-08-09 models.. but not much lately. Did your dealer replace it with a heavier rated spring the first time or go back with same? I'm sure some others will jump in and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Gary521

Try to get US made springs. A lot of springs come from China and have poor metallurgy. Replace springs in pairs ( same axle ), not just one spring. Replacing just one spring may cause axle misalignment. Upgrade the spring ratio a bit by 300-500lbs. Add wet bolts to springs and shackles. The only solution to the shocks is to move the upper mounting point to keep in from bending. Use Monroe shocks.

santafesoul

Have not replaced them yet but just learned today that I will have to. When I measured between the two axles, the off door side was a full 1/2 inch closer together. I'm sure that that difference will cause additional wear on the tires. Where did you get your new springs?

57chevyconvt

I am currently in the proces of upgrading the 4 leaf 3000# springs to 6 leaf 3300# springs. Look at the metal tag on your original springs, probably made by EMCO. Their website is www.sales@emcospring.com. They don't sale direct to individual but if you will give them a call they will provide you with the name of a dealer in your area. I purchased my springs from Southwest Wheel in Dallas, TX. Also replaced the shackles with a MOR/ryde wet bolt kit from Tweety's.

shovelguy

We have an 08 Big Horn, 3055. We had to replace the leaf spring on the door side six months after we got the rig. Warranty covered everything but Lippert would not upgrade the size (5000# springs). Two years later that same side spring broke (on a freeway ten miles outside of Indianapolis) and we purchased/replaced all four leaf springs with heavier duty ones (7000#) and that seems to have fixed the problem. I should say my DH did all that replacement stuff, first with the help of the machinist (we were parked in his parking lot), and, secondly, an RV mechanic who came to our park site. He is 'da man'.

StevenJ

We had to replace springs also, our 2008 Bighorn 3600RL, after much research and help from all the guys on this Heartland site, I decided to replace my springs with the same weight rating as the old ones. My old springs were so bad they were shaped in a "W" shape, I purchased new springs, American made with the same weight rating and it rides like it should. It doesn't bounce around as much and doesn't sway side to side. I didn't want to go to a higher weight rating because it will make the unit ride harder and bounce things around more, a stiffer ride. I don't have the name of the supplier I used, but any american made leaf springs will probably work, the chinese springs seem to be softer even thou they are rated the same? Good luck.